Welding, On a cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can a Stihl cylinder be welded. I have been given two 024 and
one 026 and already have a 024 crank case's with cranks. I was
thinking about taken a bad cylinder weld up the intake side and
on the exhaust side welding a plate for put the pressure/vacuum
gage. Can this be done, yes I can tig weld I don't have one but
do have access to one. I guess a easier question is are the
cylinders just aluminum or some other alloy?

Ive never welded a chainsaw cylinder, BUT, I used to make a living with a TIG machine.
I have welded OTHER cylinders, briggs and stratton ( failed attempt) and some yamaha/kawasaki PWC 2 stroke cylinders ( worked, but they were water cooled likely thicker)

the problem is, they are usually cast aluminum, and its usually pretty nasty stuff, very porous and hard to clean the oil and gunk out.

If you are simply trying to make a dumby cylinder to test crankcase seals, I would drill and tap some holes and just mount plates over both intake and exhuast?

Trigger-Time said:

ozarkjeep said:
Ive never welded a chainsaw cylinder, BUT, I used to make a living with a TIG machine.
I have welded OTHER cylinders, briggs and stratton ( failed attempt) and some yamaha/kawasaki PWC 2 stroke cylinders ( worked, but they were water cooled likely thicker)

the problem is, they are usually cast aluminum, and its usually pretty nasty stuff, very porous and hard to clean the oil and gunk out.

If you are simply trying to make a dumby cylinder to test crankcase seals, I would drill and tap some holes and just mount plates over both intake and exhuast?

Yes the exhaust side would be easy, the intake side I guess I could use
the boot, plug and clamp the carb end. And yes aluminum needs to be very
clean before welding.

yep, in my experience, its pretty hard to get it clean, unless stihl has an usually high quality aluminum in their castings.

ive got an 024/026 hybrid saw, the cylinder seems THIN, I cant imagine welding it easily unless its VERY clean good metal.

most of the smaller engines ive messed with, are more like old pot metal once you strike an arc on them.

Trigger-Time said:
Yes the exhaust side would be easy, the intake side I guess I could use
the boot, plug and clamp the carb end. And yes aluminum needs to be very
clean before welding.

Trigger-Time said:

I'm not sure what your building or why, but if it is to simply test the seals and gasket, why not just make a fake carb, with a vacuum / pressure tap and place a section of iner-tube over the exhaust port?

ShoerFast said:
I'm not sure what your building or why, but if it is to simply test the seals and gasket, why not just make a fake carb, with a vacuum / pressure tap and place a section of iner-tube over the exhaust port?

I have four cases I need to test. And I will be messing around with more
and just for the He!! of it. ;)

I'm with ShoerFast on this one!!!

In 5 minutes you can seal your exhaust and inlet with two small sections of rubber inner-tube material - one behind the muffer and the other behind the carb... use the impulse line for the test port.

And I'm with shoer again! :hmm3grin2orange:

If you're worred about putting the tank back on to test the crankcase, just snap a piece of bicycle inner-tube over the inlet and tie it off with wire. Use the muffer with rubber to seal the exhaust.

I have had good luck tig welding broken fins on cylinders. I don't use any special filler just 5256 I believe. You must clean the parts very well, degrease and try burning off the oils with a propane torch. I then file or sand the imediate area where I will weld.
Equally as important is to preheat the cylinder before welding. They have all kinds temperature crayons at your local welding shop so you don't overheat the cylinder.

Back