Well I feel better

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cool and windy today, managed 29[sup]o[/sup] with a 20 MPH wind... but a cloudless sky, full sunshine.
The wind was coming from the right direction to take down the last big Black Walnut on the NW edge of the yard. The 5-year-old and I got it all bucked up, then took the pickup into town and loaded the blow-down ash from the MIL's house. The boy wanted to get the splitter out... but I've been a bit too lazy all winter and was feeling the work in my muscles. Still, spent a good share of the day outside doing something, developed a couple sore muscles, and got a bit of sun in my eyes. Funny how a few hours outside changes your perspective... I have a whole new outlook on life tonight and the Budweiser couldn't taste any better.

But... on the negative side, snow and wind tonight and tomorrow with possible blizzard conditions :msp_angry:

Last edited:
Spidy, I'm glad you got a good dose of sunshine today. You are right about how it makes you feel so much better. I spent part of the morning outside splitting some firewood for a friend.

after getting my wifes car into the barn and the truck/car hauler unstuck and put away,I pulled out a lawn chair and sat out in the sun only hit 29 but man it felt good. :rock: and now the rest of the week... :msp_sneaky:

That is just terrible. After working outside to day in my tee shirt I feel so bad now. It was 74*'s here. But we will get rain tomorrow. The bad thing there is I have to get my garden planted.

Similar weather here in NY. 29 was our high but the wind chill made it feel much colder. Only spotty sunshine but I got out and filled one of the wood caddys on the front porch and fired up the splitter for about 2 hours. Then it started to snow pretty hard. Would have gone longer but ran low on fuel. If it hadn't been so windy I'd have fired up the saw and noodled some big oak rounds. A chore for another day.

Whitespider - I know exactly how you feel! I had a similar day yesterday - just a few hours north of you it was about 10 degrees with a brisk windchill, but clear blue sky in every direction. I was out attacking an old ash caught up in an oak after it had blown down many years ago (before I bought the property). I've owned the property for 8 years and early on, I cut the butt back about 8 feet hoping this tree would eventually release itself from the oak's grip. No dice...and the wood I cut was all punky anyway, so I left it alone. Yesterday I decided enough was enough and I was gonna get rid of that unsightly thing one way or another and toss the junk wood into the marsh while it's still frozen. Logging chains and a come-a-long were the required tools and about 2 hours of cranking, reposition, crank, reposition, crank reposition...and unfortunately the oak branch in which the ash was hung up cracked off near the trunk. That old ash just wouldn't give up. And now I know why. Once the tree was on ground, I bucked it up and wouldn't you know it but other than the bottom 12 inches, it was solid as a rock! What a score! Granted, it ain't a huge amount of wood but it'll keep me warm for a week next winter. In the end fighting the wind and wading through 20" of snow all afternoon was all worthwhile. I'm sore today, but nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment and most any day in the woods manages to give me a positive outlook.

Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Alexandria, MN

I spent the weekend in my shop getting my new work truck ready for a paint job. Got a 2000 F350 super duty with a 9' service body. Gonna shoot it tonight and hopefully have it sort of work ready Wednesday.

Saturday I spent several hours plowing snow around here and at the farm next to me. I decided to check on the guy down the road from us and he wasn’t plowed out so I did his 1/2 mile road for them. While talking to his wife, she was saying that they were out of seasoned wood and burning green logs that were delivered last week. (The guy is paralyzed for several years now from when a tree fell on him so she does most of the work around their place) They have a newer indoor stove and can’t burn green wood so I took over a cord of wood from the pile by my OWB. Yesterday I woke up to -5 below; I spent most of the day on the ATV plowing a path down the pasture to my main wood pile or I’d be low on wood. This has been a rough winter on everyone, seems like we all got caught with our pants down. I put more hours on my ATV this winter than I have for the past three summers.

The sad part is; I woke up to more snow on the ground today so I get to be on that darn ATV again but the good part is.... I saw a little smoke from the chimney at the house down the road so the weekend was all worth while.

Talking high winds and lower temps for the next few days but we can take it... It won't be long now..

That was a good deal. You may just have saved their lives. I can't imagine being in that condition. You're a good man.

I thank God in Heaven I don't have to concern myself with that. I wouldn't for that matter.

Saturday I spent several hours plowing snow around here and at the farm next to me. I decided to check on the guy down the road from us and he wasn’t plowed out so I did his 1/2 mile road for them. While talking to his wife, she was saying that they were out of seasoned wood and burning green logs that were delivered last week. (The guy is paralyzed for several years now from when a tree fell on him so she does most of the work around their place) They have a newer indoor stove and can’t burn green wood so I took over a cord of wood from the pile by my OWB. Yesterday I woke up to -5 below; I spent most of the day on the ATV plowing a path down the pasture to my main wood pile or I’d be low on wood. This has been a rough winter on everyone, seems like we all got caught with our pants down. I put more hours on my ATV this winter than I have for the past three summers.

The sad part is; I woke up to more snow on the ground today so I get to be on that darn ATV again but the good part is.... I saw a little smoke from the chimney at the house down the road so the weekend was all worth while.

Talking high winds and lower temps for the next few days but we can take it... It won't be long now..

Good on ya Iska. But I'd say it's time the fella and gal look at an easier alternative to provide their heat...... comes a time.

It's been a long and rotten winter for alot of us, heavy snowfalls and extreme cold with regular short lived warm up's melting it all off and leaving wet soft ground that's not fit to walk in or drive anything over. Been hard to get much of anything done since it started.

Good reminder of the need to have all your stores and firewood done and ready for the whole winter before it arrives.

CL score sunday, Turned out to be 2 1/2 cord of red and white oak. Down and limbed 10 mi away. Of course it was at the bottom of a 15 ft 45 deg hill!! It was nice to run the saws again, and get some real nice wood. Winter has not been kind to the body. All muscles are screaming in pain, so arn't the lungs, and heart. Took from 9:30 to 7 pm. Was ready for more today but another foot of snow has fallen. Will have to wait another 2 weeks. So far this winter Ive got 4 cord of oak, need 1 more to make up for this years usage.

This winter has been brutal up North. It has been a fairly mild winter in East Texas. Yesterday was a great sunshiny day. I went flying for a short flight to warm up the engine and check my piece of heaven from the air. Today it is back to work. I have to mow my yard. Also, I will be buying a new Stihl MS 441 C-M. I need to finish getting some firewood off the ground before it all rots. I am up to the really large logs that my small Stihl 026 cannot handle well. I have burned enough rotted wood already; pecan and red oak. Plus I have some downed trees that I have to gather. It sure is great working outside.

Back