What is everyone's thoughts on AIP pistons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it freak any one out if James Brown was dead?

If you really study the piston, study it till it all makes sense, you will see the likeness of James Brown, he may be a real chainsaw nut?

attachment.php

attachment.php

I see Jerry Garcia. You only see James Brown because the carbon is black. Think "photo negatives", then you will see it my way.

Freak, yes, I think that piston had some problems before the teardown too. The blackened breaks just make that look like the real deal.

I like to use more than that loop of rope, just to keep the load more even, although I think that that piston was a goner anyway, wouldn't have helped you there. As someone else mentioned, better it didn't come apart in operation. I try to get at least 1 1/2 to 2 rope loops on the piston feeding in one end of the rope. The other end is fused down solid, with no frays. I've only done a couple of dozen, some were hard, but never broken one. Always been scared of something like that.

Mark

klickitatsacket said:
how much did you take off the base? Advance your ignition timing about 1.5 degrees for every .010 you take off the base. Also what was done to the transfers if anything?

Base was left alone. I made a gasket to come up with the thickness i needed. The AIP piston was a tad differant than the stock one. It was about 4 thou different. with no gasket, the AIP was a head smacker, yet the fatory piston cleared-not by much, but it cleared.

I opened the lower transfers into the case. The transfer port timing was left alone.

Like i said, this was a very mild build, as I had a big tree to take down and needed it for the length of the tree. lol

I didn't even touch the intake timing, believe it or not. Just widened it to the max safe limit.

The exhaust was raised not quite a mm, just widened as far as it could safely go.

Big Woody said:
If you ask me I'd say it looks like the Virgin Mary. Could be worth big money on ebay.

I like the way you think. lol. Too bad i leave town on monday, or I would list it on ebay. :laugh:

Back