What is the strangest request for service you ever got a call for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK. Today was really odd. I got a call from a contractor I do frequent work for. He wanted to know if I was available to handle an emergency call at a large chain of banks that we frequently service. It doesn't matter what they ask for, we just go do it.

Today: "Can you go pick up a dead rooster and three coconuts at the bank at ..."
Apparently, someone had done a voodoo ritual of some sort and left a shrine at the bank! (or so I thought). Upon doing some research, it seems more likely to have been a blessing of some sort done by a Santerian, an Afro-Caribbean religion. They seem to feature blessings and other "magic" that involve animal sacrifices and other offerings to deities in exchange for a blessing or gain of some sort.

Chicken and coconut feature prominently in some of their ritual recipes. Yes. I looked up a 180 page long pdf of ritual magic, as I wanted to know the meaning of the event I was going to dispose of.

I found a few references to leaving some coins ($$ !!!) as well, so I was planning to check out the shrine real well for coinage or other signs of a ritual practice.
:happybanana:

Upon arrival, I determined that if I was a deity to that offering, I wouldn't have been giving up too many blessings. It was only two dead cocks in a plastic grocery bag. The "three coconuts" turned out to be 4 chunks of coconut tossed onto the sidewalk. I got no ritually offered coins, either.
:(

It all went into the dumpster.

New strangeness: someone went dumpster-diving overnight. The two dead chickens (crisply decapitated) have magically been moved out of the dumpster onto the gravel parking adjacent. No other trash was scattered.

An argument perhaps to the strength of Santerian spiritual powers?

Back