what makes a pro chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i was just thinking what really seperates the occasional use/mid range saws from the pro chainsaws as in what makes them runh better. im talking about like the air filet etc.

This topic always produces a lively discussion.

The truth is that there are several places where you can draw the line depending on the variables you're looking at. Some guys look at cc's, some at metal vs. plastic crankcase, some at porting. Some manufacturers try to draw the line themselves, some put a "pro" decal on a saw that's obviously not.

Husky has tried to solve this by coming up with a third category to cover those saws that are in the gray area between consumer and pro. They call it "landowner", and to me it just further adds to the confusion. But there are certainly saws in the middle of anyones lineup that aren't as good as the top models, but are obviously better than much of the stuff below them.

IMO, it's fruitless to try to identify where a line should be drawn to divide the pro from homeowner saws. I think you should look at it like a ladder, with the saws getting progressively better with each rung as you go up.

Just take a look at Jonsered

Just take a look at Jonsereds and their older line of SemiPros. I have a 49sp. So, where would these saws fit into the ladder?

Also, when did Jonsered drop the 's' off of their name?

Dan

What makes a pro saw...

Some things I look for in variouis "pro" saws:

- alloy crankcase (usually magnesium)
- high power-to-weight ratio
- High "service life" rating (homeowner saws are like 50 to 100 hours max)
- Easy access to plug, filter, carb
- No gimmicks like tool-less chain tensioners
- Good filter system
- Rim/Drum drive system or clutch (not spur type)
- Usually can NOT be purchased at "box" type store (L***s or H*** D****)
- Can take a fair amount of abuse and keep cutting
- New price for small saw should be ~$400+
- New Price for mid-range saw should be ~$600+
- New Price for larger saw should be ~$900+
(I'm sure that I'll get flamed for those prices)
- The hard-core Arborist Site geeks don't laugh at it
- Usually says "Husqvarna" and "XP" on the saw (sorry, had to throw that in)

JQ

- Usually says "Husqvarna" and "XP" on the saw (sorry, had to throw that in)

JQ[/QUOTE]

HAHA that was good.

'Pro' is just a label created for marketing purposes only.

If you're going to be using a saw daily and are going to be throwing tough work at it all the time you need a saw that can stand up to that. Good power to weight ratio, light as possible, and designed for the daily grind. Generally speaking, these are the moist expensive.

If you want to spend big bucks these saws are worth it. If you're just going to cut a few cords every year then the mid range saws are probably just what the doctor ordered. You'll find that you can get a lot of saw for a little less money if you go with the top of the line saws from the #3 or higher manufacturer, Dolmar, Jonsred, Solo, etc.

Latest posts

Back