what oak or suggested LARGE tree can i plant in my area?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerseyGirl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi again - I am looking for a majestic tree that i can plant in my yard that with have branches (in a great number of years0 for a swing.

location: north west mountains of georgia - north west of Lake Lanier NOT much - on one of the tops of the lake west of gainesville- just at the start of the mountains. My land is on the east side of the ridge about 1/4 mile up the ridge from a river.

I have native woods with hard wood, pin and white oak, sour gum, tulip poplar, dogwood, white pine among the woods. oldest tree here is about 80 or less as this hill was clear cut about 1910-1920 for a mining camp.

i have about 1/3 of an acre that is open and i would like a tree that will have spreading branches such as a live oak - i might be out of the growing range of that tree and my soil may not be right as i am not sand nor clay. and maybe NOT enough open space to place such a tree. I want to stay away from maples and anything that would have fruit, was thinking ginkgo but i am not into that either.

i was also looking at water oak Do they have low branches? My hope is to have a great branch in 20 years for a swing. could a sycamore have low branch?

I understand about getting local stock - -could I just get some seeds from a tree that i want and attempt to propagate in that manner? I have done that with japanese maple and out of a dozen 8 have survived to about three foot and they are four years old.

many question here. thank you all again with your sharing of your knowledge.

Hi again - I am looking for a majestic tree that i can plant in my yard that with have branches (in a great number of years0 for a swing.

location: north west mountains of georgia - north west of Lake Lanier NOT much - on one of the tops of the lake west of gainesville- just at the start of the mountains. My land is on the east side of the ridge about 1/4 mile up the ridge from a river.

I have native woods with hard wood, pin and white oak, sour gum, tulip poplar, dogwood, white pine among the woods. oldest tree here is about 80 or less as this hill was clear cut about 1910-1920 for a mining camp.

i have about 1/3 of an acre that is open and i would like a tree that will have spreading branches such as a live oak - i might be out of the growing range of that tree and my soil may not be right as i am not sand nor clay. and maybe NOT enough open space to place such a tree. I want to stay away from maples and anything that would have fruit, was thinking ginkgo but i am not into that either.

i was also looking at water oak Do they have low branches? My hope is to have a great branch in 20 years for a swing. could a sycamore have low branch?

I understand about getting local stock - -could I just get some seeds from a tree that i want and attempt to propagate in that manner? I have done that with japanese maple and out of a dozen 8 have survived to about three foot and they are four years old.

many question here. thank you all again with your sharing of your knowledge.

Hey jersey girl,
Welcome to AS.

You mentioned that you didn't want maple.
Is there a reason why ?
They dont produce fruit.
If I could change your mind, I think that a majestic Sugar Maple,
would be perfect. It would have nice lower branches strong enough to hold a swing. And the beautiful autumn foliage could be embraced, while relaxing in the sweet smells that linger through the breezes as you recall those days of your youth.
Sipping on a cup of tea.
Lulled into a sleep, as the songbird sings.
Ahhhh.... :angel:

I am below the preferred growing zone of that tree and my elevation is below 2300 foot - my mountain ridge is just 2200 up there. Also with the range of temps we are, average about 35 in winter to 90 in summer that might push the limits of that tree. Here in my neighborhood which is about 90 acres there is not a single maple - so they really are not native here. The branch structure would do but i am sure the tree would live a life under stress.

thanks for that suggestion - I might go or UGA forestry group and see what they suggest.

great idea

jz

Last edited:
Yes, or white oak. You know how tough they are(from the splitting thread you posted). I have seen or installed swings on White oaks, one of my favorites, great strengh and color. Trouble is, it would take awhile to get big enough.

You might consider a Bur Oak. But, as rebelman alluded to, you had better be young now if you expect the live long enough to swing in it yourself.

Back