What Should I Do If My Tree Was Poisoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsteve

Reaction score
I've got a fence line that I share with a neighbor. Never had any issues with trees, but I have noticed he trims the branches of mine that lean over into his (treeless) property. No big deal. Today I was walking the fence line and noticed a bottle placed in between one of the branches of a tree on my side. It was upside down, cap on, with some plastic wrapped around it. Seemed like it was set up for a slow drain into the tree. I removed the bottle, unscrewed the lid to see what it smelled like and it's some thick oily glue type stuff. I looked for cuts on the tree but couldn't really tell if there were any or not. The leaves are already brown and it appears to be dead already. Honestly, I may have considered taking the tree down if he had just talked to me about it, but now things are all ***ky and I've obviously got a crappy/sneaky neighbor. What should I do? I don't particularly like the idea of this jerk putting unknown chemicals in my yard close to where my kid plays.

What's the best way to do that? I haven't been down this road before, do I turn it in to a crime lab or something? Is getting to the bottom of this going to cost a lot of money? I could probably go over to the neighbor and ask about it, but I'm sure that won't go anywhere other than letting him know I know what he did. His method seemed pretty overt, so I'm not sure he cares if I know or not. I doubt he would admit to anything, probably an ambiguous "man, that really sucks".

Poisoned tree

What's the best way to do that? I haven't been down this road before, do I turn it in to a crime lab or something? Is getting to the bottom of this going to cost a lot of money? I could probably go over to the neighbor and ask about it, but I'm sure that won't go anywhere other than letting him know I know what he did. His method seemed pretty overt, so I'm not sure he cares if I know or not. I doubt he would admit to anything, probably an ambiguous "man, that really sucks".

Too bad you took the bottle down from the tree. Call the local police, but since you've tampered with the evidence, it might not turn out as you'd like. They have the resources to test the substance if they are willing.
GOOD LUCK!

How big & what kind of tree is it? If the tree already "looks" dead, one bottle filled with goo slowly dripping on the trunk or ground didn't kill it. The neighbor would of had a long term plan to poison it. Hows the grass look under the tree? Is it possible that it's the neighbors old bottle of pruning paint he forgot in the tree last time he was trimming it?

Call your local police File a report.. ur neighbor can prune whats on his side but can not poision your tree.. Take him to court figure out how old tree is and type and sue him plan and simple.. Thats totally illegal..:angry:..Get a trail cam put it up take pics of him doing his dirty deeds..Sorry I have no give to people like that..

How big & what kind of tree is it? If the tree already "looks" dead, one bottle filled with goo slowly dripping on the trunk or ground didn't kill it. The neighbor would of had a long term plan to poison it. Hows the grass look under the tree? Is it possible that it's the neighbors old bottle of pruning paint he forgot in the tree last time he was trimming it?

Raintree you are clueless.. I can go to my local Hardware store buy 3 containers of chemicals and mix a bottle with small hole in it hang it in ur tree and in 3 days ur tree is DEAD no one in the world could save it.. I just love how people post misleading clueless answers and KNOW NOTHING..

Call your local police file chargers against him maybe raintree will standup for the other guy (tree Killer)..what a joke (raintree) <--clueless ..

Back