What to consider in a wood furnace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I hope you have great success with your new stove. It's a pain in the a$$ when you can't get your heating system running the way you know it should. Got to keep your family warm.
Looks like your doing the right thing.
Have fun with it
Greg

well let me explain something else I didnt mention earlier. I dont have a basemant. my furnace is located in my garage.

Hmmmm Hanko, I've been thinking about the furnace question for a while now. I have a Glenwood C cookstove in the kitchen which is fabulous but requires loading every 1-2 hours and a small Jotul at the other end of the house flued up a chimney. My house is 2500sq feet or better and 200+ years old. This set-up works well for me but my oil furnace still comes on at 1-2am till I get up in the morning. My basement isn't huge and getting wood down there would be a hassle. I was thinking maybe an outdoor furnace? My question is could I hook it up (in tandem) too the steam radiators that the oil burner supplies?:cheers:

New member - first post. Hope some of you could shed some light on this for me. Looks like there a few of you using a wood furnace so hopefully you help me out.

Any help is appreciated

Good questions! Here is my .02, whatever you get mount it high enough off the floor so the ash drawer can be reached w/o getting down on your knees. My stick burner is great except for the getting on the knees thing every morning. HTH

Hmmmm Hanko, I've been thinking about the furnace question for a while now. I have a Glenwood C cookstove in the kitchen which is fabulous but requires loading every 1-2 hours and a small Jotul at the other end of the house flued up a chimney. My house is 2500sq feet or better and 200+ years old. This set-up works well for me but my oil furnace still comes on at 1-2am till I get up in the morning. My basement isn't huge and getting wood down there would be a hassle. I was thinking maybe an outdoor furnace? My question is could I hook it up (in tandem) too the steam radiators that the oil burner supplies?:cheers:
Im not sure if i undersdtand you or not. it sounds like you have an oil fired boiler. I know nothing about boilers and how to hook a wood boiler to an existing oil burner. I have read post in this site about guys that do that. I would suggest you start a new post concerning that topic

HH

I helped Shipper 50 install a New Englander.. The stove is well built. Has a nice ash pan drawer. Love the glass in the door.To me the best bang for the 1,000-1200 dollar range furnace

I agree, I had one of these for a few years. it worked really well and you can burn coal in it if you want to ( although it is mainly designed for wood ) The glass front was very handy to heck the fire and it looked really nice also.
It seemed VERY well built for the money.
this is the one i had. It worked well but didn't throw heat duringour frequent power outages, so, unfortunately it had to go.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/28-3500.html

283500sm.jpg

I wouldn't spend anymore than $1,400 on an add on furnace. The Englander above will most likely run him out of the house anytime he wants it to. So why spend more money than needed to perform a task?

I have a US Stove I heat my shop with, I bought at Orchelns for $750 on sale normaly around a grand, its a 100,000 btu forced air unit with blower etc and uses a 6" flue. Its made to tie in to an existing homes duct work it doesnt have a window but you have to keep them clean anyway. Just mentioning that as an option for anyone looking for cheap safe home heating with wood it can be mounted within 18" of combustable walls or something close I dont have the specs on hand. HTH

I'm in the market, could you guys post pics, for this visual learner. Thanks Chris

Look at the Woodchuck. I have had one for three years and am very pleased with the performance. Forced air draft, with an under or over the fire control. Burns coal just fine also. I researched thoroughly and feel I made the correct decision.

You are correct. I have never heard of anyone owning a 180m btu furnace. I have heard of 180k btu furnaces though.

180m btu would be a HUGE furnace.
well what can i say. we are taught in I think 4 grade that roman numerals represent numbers with single letter. here is a chart for you for future use

I cant figure out how to link a web site onto one of these post, help me out here

Back