What to do with flowering crab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I planted this flowering crab last fall, shortly afterwards a buck scraped these two patches of bark off. There is a think strip about a half inch between the two areas. Together these two strips account for about 50 t0 60 percent of the diameter of the tree. I see the wounds have been healing nicely but wonder how this damage will effect the tree long term, since it's at the focal point of my front yard. It also had a bunch of crossing limbs and shoots that I pruned off this spring, but it did flower and there is currently fruit on it. There wasn't much if any new growth this spring... is that because most of the trees energy was focused on root growth, or possibly stress from the bark loss? I'm considering transplanting the tree to another area of the yard and starting over with a new tree, but would actually rather not bother if the tree's growth and aesthetics won't be compromised from the deer damage. Thanks in advance to any with advice.

008.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

I would suggest you move it as well. Apples (crabs are just a variety) are very tough. I have one that is about 70% hollow (8" diameter and only 12' tall so no risk) and I'm not concerned climbing on it.

How patient are you? I'd bet it will turn out OK....but it may be 5 years.

On a tree like that, I ask "what is the purpose?". If it is shade, fruit production, or wildlife habitat you can tolerate a fair bit of "ugly". If its purpose is aesthetic and having it there takes away from the beauty of your house/gardens, then why is it still there?

Giant rats...that all deer are is giant rats.

Topping it sounds good.. my main concern though is the missing bark. That whole half of the tree is unable to draw water up. Curious.. how will that side get moisture? From what I understand there will always be a void in the bark where it's been ripped off. What are the ramifications of this?

It is not quite accurate that the "pipes" on the west side of the trunm only feed the west side of the cankpy...there is crossover once it all gets up there. Over time, the gap will close and the 2 sides will graft together. In a few years you won't even be able to tell that miss g bark was there.

Latest posts

Back