What type of trees are these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeNoob_

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help identify the two trees in the pictures attached? The trees were obviously cut down, but the second photograph shows the top/height of the trees prior to being cut down.

Could anyone provide the stumpage cost of either or both trees? I understand that will be difficult based off looking just at photographs, but a general dollar price would be helpful.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• Tree stumps.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • Height of Trees Redacted.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
the bigger stumps looks kinda like Norway maple and the smaller looks like elm. But there isn't much to go on there.

What do you mean by "stumpage cost"? In forestry, that is the value of a standing tree vs. the value of a tree laying on the ground or delivered logs. If that is what you are asking: $0.

OK this is fun.

I am guessing that the new fence was put up by the neighbor and he cut the trees without permission, and you are wondering if it is worth your while to confront him? The others are right -- stumpage refers to timber value less the cost of logging and transport to a mill.

The trees were worth something as far as ornamental trees go, but part of the estimate of value is based on your proven awareness of and enjoyment of the trees, the overall value of landscaping on the property and property values in the neighborhood. Value would mostly be based on screening if you didn't really know what was there except for the mass of foliage. You can hire a consulting arborist and pay them to estimate the value, but the party that cut the trees without permission could still ignore you unless you file a civil suit. Given the value likely was not all that high, maybe ask the party to plant something fast growing and call it good. Why make enemies?

The pic of the crowns you circled actually looks like it depicts what was coming from the smaller stump (about 10 in. wide based on 5 1/2 in. wide fence boards), because the stump looked like a fusion of two stems and the trees look about the same size. The bigger stump (about 16 in.) could be the tree farther to the right in the picture of the crowns. First tree could have been a volunteer Bitter Cherry; other tree maybe a Norway or Bigleaf Maple. That's a Western Red Cedar in the background, so probably in the PNW. The bigger tree may have been a volunteer along the fence line as well. I am thinking they are fence line volunteers because people generally don't plant trees there; perhaps the property was subdivided?

To Whomever cut 'em: always know where you are -- sometimes clients lie or figure the neighbor doesn't care. I always tell a potential client to talk to their neighbor if I am to remove or prune a tree on a boundary.

OK this is fun.

I am guessing that the new fence was put up by the neighbor and he cut the trees without permission, and you are wondering if it is worth your while to confront him? The others are right -- stumpage refers to timber value less the cost of logging and transport to a mill.

The trees were worth something as far as ornamental trees go, but part of the estimate of value is based on your proven awareness of and enjoyment of the trees, the overall value of landscaping on the property and property values in the neighborhood. Value would mostly be based on screening if you didn't really know what was there except for the mass of foliage. You can hire a consulting arborist and pay them to estimate the value, but the party that cut the trees without permission could still ignore you unless you file a civil suit. Given the value likely was not all that high, maybe ask the party to plant something fast growing and call it good. Why make enemies?

The pic of the crowns you circled actually looks like it depicts what was coming from the smaller stump (about 10 in. wide based on 5 1/2 in. wide fence boards), because the stump looked like a fusion of two stems and the trees look about the same size. The bigger stump (about 16 in.) could be the tree farther to the right in the picture of the crowns. First tree could have been a volunteer Bitter Cherry; other tree maybe a Norway or Bigleaf Maple. That's a Western Red Cedar in the background, so probably in the PNW. The bigger tree may have been a volunteer along the fence line as well. I am thinking they are fence line volunteers because people generally don't plant trees there; perhaps the property was subdivided?

To Whomever cut 'em: always know where you are -- sometimes clients lie or figure the neighbor doesn't care. I always tell a potential client to talk to their neighbor if I am to remove or prune a tree on a boundary.

Latest posts

Back