What Welder do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy1234 said:
Re: The Miller three phase Pulstar....

If the price is REALLY right, buy it and then get a static phase converter to run it off of single phase 220V electric.

Andy
I believe you cannot use a static converter in a welder application as they only mimic 3 phase for motor starting loads.
For a welder the size of the Pulstar a 36kw rotary converter my be needed which make the pulstar, even for free, too expensive
But I can be, wrong.

Well after lots of reading and all the input (Thanks very much). I think I have decided what I will be getting.

1. Lincoln SP135 Plus welder
2. Hornell Speedglas Utility helmet

Raised By Wolves brought up a good point about buying the tank. Which size is easiest to keep around in an already tight shop? What size is a "pony tank"?

Thanks

Tom

Buy an 80cf tank. best bank for the buck in terms of purchace price,refill cost and weld time. A pony tank would be a 20cf tank good for 1 hr welding at 20cfh flow
I use a 20 for my portable outfit but in the shop I use 80's. I have 2 80cf with 75/25 Argon/CO2, 1 80cf with straight Argon and a 40cf with
straight CO2
And buy a flowmeter,not just a regulator http://www.smithequipment.com/products/regul/econflow.htm

Last edited:
Good luck w/ your welder, the SP135 plus is a very good 115v machine.

I see dumpster diving for scrap steel and bedframes in your future...

Chaser

Latest posts

Back