What's a good price?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Question for the masses here...I have bought a farmhouse built in 1820, with two, two flue chimneys...(think amityville horror..) the chimneys are in decent shape considering their age, but we need to have stainless liners put in each flue, inserts or stoves as appropriate, and chimney caps installed,

The house has no central heat or air..so our primary heat source will be wood. already have about five cords split and stacked out back...

we've been quoted five thousand per chimney...seems a little pricey to me, but maybe not..

whatsa good price? We will be getting several more estimates...:blob2:

Are you asking what's a good price for lining a chimney? You can get parts prices here: chimneylinerinc.com If you go with flex pipe and insulation, you should be under $1K per chimney. Rigid pipe is more. Now that's just materials. NOt sure how high your chimney is, how steep the roof is, etc which determines how easy/difficult getting that liner in will be. $5K per chimney seems steep but not sure what all you were quoted for. Are you sure it wasn't to do it all? Because if that price included 2 stoves/inserts and full installation then I would say that it is reasonable. My stove plus liner cost me $2200 and I installed it myself saving $500.

Last edited:
I will not hijack this post by telling my horror story on how I almost got ripped by a local plumber.
so i will say this.

1 call around and look on the net for info.
2 if it looks hard they will quote you high
3 if they are busy they will quote you high
4 if they dont want to do it quote you high

I have done alot of work myself and saved thousands but i also know when to get a pro.
but putting a flexible stainless liner into a hole sounds like 3 guys and some safty gear and 3 days of work.
in the end you can then buy better stoves and save on wood.

Thanks guys...it looks like they are pretty reasonable...i finally got ahold of the quote sheet..stainless/titanium liner and a pretty nice stove in each hole, and their labor cost are not exorbitant...gonna get a few more quotes though.

what kind of stove & liner and does that include insulation? Around here, southeastern PA you will easily find:
nice stove: $1500-$3000
liner: 400-600
insulation - 200
labor - 500

two flue chimneys the chimneys are in decent shape have stainless liners put in each flue, inserts or stoves as appropriate, and chimney caps installed,

The house has no central heat or air..so our primary heat source will be wood. already have about five cords split and stacked out back...

we've been quoted five thousand per chimney...seems a little pricey to me, but maybe not..

whatsa good price? We will be getting several more estimates...:blob2:

Get (many) other quotes AND references on other jobs.
To think over:
1. Most chimneys 30+ years old need upper part rebuilding before lining to support safely a cap system.
2. Even 6" Selkirk SS insulated pipe for stand alone flues is around $1. per inch plus assorted support parts and cap. I've installed single wall rigid SS liners for much less. Remember that sealing a SS cap to a stone or brick top can be a serious pro job. How tall are the chimneys ? Is the roof pitch over 6-7 to need scaffolds and support to work on the chimney ?
3. The stoves are a complete other matter. Choose the stoves before the job: the flue size is critical for each burner and the size space to be heated.
4. Fireplace flue connections and seal are tricky and can be $$$.

Bill is in the mail :blob2:

We're waiting on an estimate now from a cast masonry installer...after a little reading this may be the way to go..we'll see what they say..

Latest posts

Back