What's happened to my Fruitless Mulberry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford Falcon

Reaction score
Hi Nature lovers

I live in Southern California, in the San Bernadino county area. About 2 months ago I purchased a fruitless mulberry tree, and had it planted in my back yard. The tree is approximately 8 feet high. I dug a hole about 2 feet deep and transplanted the tree into the ground. I filled the hole half with mulch, the rest with soil. I also placed a piece of plastic piping to the base of the roots for watering. The tree has been getting a regular watering. Initially it was being watered 3-4 times per day. Now, it gets a watering every morning and evening.

My concern is that, about 2 weeks ago, the leaves had started falling off the branches. By now, the tree has no more leaves. When it was bought, there were at least a dozen branches, and the leaves were green and looked healthy to me.

I'm not sure if the tree is supposed to be losing it's leaves already, considering it's still summer here.

I would appreciate any advice that could be offered to me as to what may be wrong with the tree. Also, any tips on feeding and pruning them would help as well.

Thanks in advance

David

My first guess is overwatering. The oil should neither be dry nor continually soaked. Water enough to soak the ground the give it 2-3 days before watering again.(that is a VERY rough guide check soil moisture.)

I phrase it, Inspect on a schedule, water as needed.

wat has happend is that the soil has not been allowed to drain properly, no gas exchange has taken place in the pores between soil particles.

If no leaves ar left, I would guess that the tree is dead. you might be able to exchange it for another one, but if you tell them you watered several times a day they may say that voids the warrentee.

In Florida they are almost a weed tree (the non specialized, non-grafted ones), they grow so well.

It seems to me that for some of them this might be a tad early for fall, but it seems about right.

Silkworms love mulberry leaves, when people where silk producing/harvesting, mullberry tree leaves where the food.

Latest posts

Back