whats your insurance company say about burning wood???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych038

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
been thinking about putting in an outdoor wood furnance beside the house and ducting it into..well the ductwork. dont know what state farm would think of this if my house burnt down, but i would rather not say anything being as i already burn wood in my blaze king fireplace insert. but the house did have a functioning firplace in it when they looked at it. what do you all think???

you have to follow town codes and any fire codes.

failure to do either could result in the insurance company not covering your losses if anything did happen.

this is what the insurance wants for a new install

we have a stove going in down the block will be done by winter
woodinsur.gif

Thanks NDth:

Just installed a new wood cookstove and a manufactured chimney. Bought building permit for installation and will have to forward details of manufacturers certification label and pictures/ drawings etc. of installation to insurance company. Have to finish the brick work heatsheild before I fire it up. No use paying insurance premiums if you have made a non complying or unreported installation. Insurance companies are not noted for being easy with their money.

One thing you need to remember, no matter how sweet they make themselves seem when luring you into their web there is not an insurance company alive that is in business to make your life easy or nice. They are in business to make money. When you install a woodstove and dont tell them about it what you have done for yourself is eliminate your fire insurance even though you are still paying. Get the point?? And there is none worse than your company of choice, I know, I had them for 20 years with no claims and had my insurance yanked. You need to get their graces upon your installation.

I have American Family and as far as OWB go as long as it was located 300 feet from the residence and it had a underwriters approval label it was fine. I opted for a zero clearance high efficiency fireplace and thats cool too,not even a rate hike, just let them know when it was done and operational. As long as I didn't install it, meaning as long as a dealer installed it it was fine. I could do all the prep work and finishing but they wanted the venting done by the dealer.

They had a big problem with pellet stoves, free standing wood stoves, and wood furnaces though.

My house has an insert fireplace. When I bought it, I called American Family Ins. and they wanted a picture of it. I do so, along with a description of the flue (triple wall pipe), and they said no problem. Insurance cost 2$ more per month. Then I kept getting cancellation notices from their headquarters reason stating I had a fireplace with no coverage. Turns out some idiot adjuster drove by and saw the flue pipe and wrote it up not knowing i had coverage for a fireplace. After hashing it out with my agent, no problem. i do make sure on EACH billing statement that it states I am covered, just so I dont get screwed.

when I added my insert they did not even blink when I added the wood stove in the basement they just asked to have the township issue a building permit. my bill did not increase at all.

When I wanted to install another stove in the basement they said I would have to move up to another policy coverage.

Last edited:
The only concern my insurance guy had was having an open fireplace or a wood stove. When I told him I had an insert he didn't really care.

Not sure about outdoor stoves though.

Living in Missouri myself it did not make a difference in my rates from my insurer for my wood stove installation provided if it was installed by someone who is certified (licensed, bonded and insured) on the installation.

If you intend to install it yourself I can't give an opinion but I am guessing it may affect your rates.

a building permit assures the installation is according to the local or state codes. usually they are approved by the fire marshal. the insurance companies accept this.

ok i c. if i do something outdoor i will give talk to them first. as for my insert... i dunno house has always had a chimney and fireplace:blob2:

One thing you need to remember, no matter how sweet they make themselves seem when luring you into their web there is not an insurance company alive that is in business to make your life easy or nice. They are in business to make money. When you install a woodstove and dont tell them about it what you have done for yourself is eliminate your fire insurance even though you are still paying. Get the point?? And there is none worse than your company of choice, I know, I had them for 20 years with no claims and had my insurance yanked. You need to get their graces upon your installation.

no doubt. i do collision repair work on cars. insurance wants to screw us, customer, doesnt mater as long as they make a buck.

Insurance companies generally add a premium for operating a wood stove. Funny thing, though, they don't add anything if you have a fireplace and only have a spark screen standing in front of it.

So, what do they really know? :mad:

Insurance companies generally add a premium for operating a wood stove. Funny thing, though, they don't add anything if you have a fireplace and only have a spark screen standing in front of it.

So, what do they really know? :mad:

Yes they do, When built my home it had three open fireplaces and no fire hydrants nearby (no city water) and I pay a major premium for that situation. when I added an insert to one of them I seen no rate change.
In my agents opinion the insert is safer than an open fireplace but with the insert used for heat they reason that it is burning more hours in any given time frame.

when I added my insert they did not even blink when I added the wood stove in the basement they just asked to have the township issue a building permit. my bill did not increase at all.

When I wanted to install another stove in the basement they said I would have to move up to another policy coverage.

That is exactly what my insurance company did. They said as long as it's inspected/approved by the town, it's fine with them and no rate increase.

"In my agent's opinion the insert is safer than an open fireplace but with the insert used for heat they reason that it is burning more hours in any given time frame."
---------------
Dirt bags. They want you to buy more (1) natural gas or (2) fuel oil or (3) propane, or (4) electricity or (5) pray for global warming. Anything but try to heat your house with a replenishable source of energy.

How Nice! :censored:

"In my agent's opinion the insert is safer than an open fireplace but with the insert used for heat they reason that it is burning more hours in any given time frame."
---------------
Dirt bags. They want you to buy more (1) natural gas or (2) fuel oil or (3) propane, or (4) electricity or (5) pray for global warming. Anything but try to heat your house with a replenishable source of energy.

How Nice! :censored:

and hope that your house is destroyed in the flooding caused by supposed global warming... and wont pay because they don't insure flood damage:censored: .

Back