Which Saw-MS440, 361 or 390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardCorpsHunter

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new Stihl saw and am going back and forth on which model to buy. I cut and use about 3 cord of wood a year and that's it. I primarly cut Red Fur and Tamerack in the 16 to 24 inch range. I'm in my early thirdys and want a saw that's going to last for several decades. For now I'm leaning towards the 361 because of the cost difference, but want to leave my opinions open. Any advise would be welcome.

Semper Fi

Your question doesn't include Husqvarna models, but if it did I'd say go for it and get a 372 while you still can. It would be more saw than you need, but more than you need is often nice - 20" bar on my PS7900 is my current main saw setup and it is such a nice change from the 20" MS290 I used to use.

However, of the choices you mentioned, any of them should do the job. Your wood cutting quantity is not such that speed is likely of the essence, which leaves all three of your choices in the running. Heck, you could probably get by with a 290 and a sharp chain, unless you intended to cut your full year's worth of wood in an afternoon.

I think that the saw's price, at the end of the day, is what will guide your choice. The 440 is a bit of a jump, price-wise, especially if you don't need to run a longer bar on a consistent basis. I would probably go for the 361 as a compromise for 3 cord/year usage. Set it up with a 20" bar, save a couple dollars over the 440 and be content.

If the options are just those 3 ....then the 361 would be my choice based on your stated needs.

If Husky is an option strongly consider the previous 372XP advice.

I'd lean toward the 361, use the extra money to buy some chainsaw chaps, helmet with face shield, and earmuffs if you dont already have them. the PPE cannot be stressed enough here.

LM, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 372xp from baileys is $530, and the 361 is running about the same money, or $20 more. Based on that, I believe the 372xp to be the best saw for that kind of money.
-Ralph

I'll also vote for the 361, though the 372 is a good choice as well, though these two saws aren't as comparable as the 372 and the 440, even then, most would chose the 372. Just remember, the Bailey's price does not include a bar and chain.

If you're considering the 361 or the 440, you'd be disappointed with the 390. It costs less, but it's less of a saw.

Jeff

If you are only going to have 'one' saw, go for the 361 as its light enough for you to limb with and has enough power for you to take on some serious wood. BUT, if you are going to have a smaller limbing saw, ie, a 026/260, and want a larger one to be with you a long time, then buy the044/440 as you have the muscles and youth to man handle it for a long time to come.

Some great info so far, thanks. I've never thought about Husqvarna. As a WA state employee I was assigned to work White Pass (US Highway 12) which includes the town of Morton. Morton and the general area is a large logging community and in the four years I worked there I rarely noticed anything but Stihls being used by the pros. Here in Wenatchee I see a rainbow fleet of saws with the wood burners. I'll look into the Hus 372. Probably only confuse myself!!! I do want the best saw though.

Semper Fi

Husky, Stihl, Jonsred and Echo are all good pro saws...as are some old Poulans, Macs and Hoimelites, but their current stuff is crap. I'm a Stihl man myself, just look at sig. Can't advise, except to say that I wanted the 440, but since I couldn't justify the price economically I had to go with the "lesser" saw.

hard corp,

Hey welcome to AS....I run both Stihl and Husky. In current form, comparing pure stock saws, Huskys are superior. So, if you don't mind the extra weight, get the 372. Madsen's still has a few weeks worth left, and will match Bailey's price, though we gotta pay tax.... The 361, if you open the muffler, is a great saw, though I'd go for a Husky 359 for about $300 on eBay and have ehp mod it, then it will outcut a stock 372, be two pounds lighter and cost about the same.

www. madsens1.com

Roger

asb151 said:
If the options are just those 3 ....then the 361 would be my choice based on your stated needs.

If Husky is an option strongly consider the previous 372XP advice.
Ditto!
- to both statements. :angel:
You can't go wrong with either.

The 440 is a close to 20 year old design, and will probably soon be replaced by the 441.

It is a toss up between the ms 440 and the ms 361. I used the 251 for two days one time to cut firewood and lay a tree down. It was great plenty of power for the 20 inch bar light and had a decompression vavle and everything. I currently cut 95 percent of firewood at work with a ms 440 around 30 cords a month give or take. It also has great power weighs more but pulls a 24 inch bar very well. For you I would stay to stick with the ms 361 it will last forever and should be more then enough power for what you need.

fishhuntcutwood said:
If you're considering the 361 or the 440, you'd be disappointed with the 390. It costs less, but it's less of a saw.

Diesel JD said:
...but since I couldn't justify the price economically I had to go with the "lesser" saw.

Ah c'mon, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant to say that the 390 isn't comparable to the 440. and in a side by side comparison, the 361 is typically a more desireable saw when it comes to power to weight, total weight, power band, anti-vibe and so on. I never meant to imply the 390, or any of the 029 series is anything less than a great saw in it's own right, just simply that the other two are of a professional grade and is kinda like comparing a Husky 372 to a 55 Rancher.

Your 390 is no less capable a saw than anything else out there.

Jeff

Id vote for the 361 too. Great saw. The 440 is way more saw than you need for 3 cords a year and big bucks too. For 3 cords a year and the size wood your cutting a 280 might even do you well. I have one and use it all the time instead of the 440, its power to weight ration is excellent and for the volume of wood your cutting you don't really need a pro saw honestly. Everyone is gonna say no way plastic case not magnesium, hey just dont drive over it and you'll be fine, It will last along time, but if your set on a pro saw go for the 361 you'll love it.

Also Husky saws are great too, and usually priced better than stihl, but if your areas like mine, service is not available, and parts are hard to come buy. I do tune ups extra myself but for major issues it goes to the shop, my times worth more than the service bill so. Have to go with a brand you can get parts and service on in my opinion

I think that one thing is time to make clear!
Quote from Stihldoc:
The MS 270 and MS 280 were originally scheduled to replace the 024 and 026 (now MS 240, MS 260) but development was delayed. The MS 260 (026) was kept in the line due to its popularity. The MS 270, MS 280 are true pro saws with a durable crank and bearings, better air filteration, new smoother anti-vibration system, and digitally controlled ignition timing. The versions with the triple activated chain brake are real nice with a completely new chain brake mechanism. Much different and easier and less expensive to repair than the original triple brake that was introduced on the 036 QS.
The anti-vibe system on the MS 270, MS 280 was designed for the AV requirements of the European market and short bar applications. The machines are listed for use with up to 20" bars in the U.S. market but really should use a 16" bar length. They are good machines but hard to fit into a niche with the U.S. market.

With 372 as cheap as they are it would be a huge mistake not to buy one. FWIW I own a 390, 361 , had a 440, and have 2 372's so I know a little something on the subject.
The 372 is superior to all these saws in every way. One of the best saws Husky ever built.

Latest posts

Back