which saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefeVTtreeman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking into getting a small running for myself and friends, does my 346xp or stihl 650 make for a good milling saw?

If it were me I would look at the 660 and the 395XP for milling saws. The 660 is about 92 cc and the 395 is 94.6 cc. Just my opinion. Unless you want to go all out and check out the 880 and the 3120, These are the baddest of bad. Both being around 120 to 121 ccs.

jefeVTtreeman said:
looking into getting a small running for myself and friends, does my 346xp or stihl 650 make for a good milling saw?
You're 650 will make an adequate milling saw. If you're only milling small stuff, like 12 inch wide softwood, you can even mill with your smaller saw, but it will be slow. You're 650 will be fine though. It'll even mill big stuff like 30 inch oak, but a little slower than if you had an 880 or 3120.

i hope to do the big bore kit for the 650 in jan so she work fine then. Thanks for the info. any ideas on how long it takes to mill cherry that is 24" od and 10' lenghths i maintain some land nearby and the owner will let me have anything i want which is usally 8 cords of wood a year but she has lots of nice cherry and was think of getting into better uses for the wood.

jefeVTtreeman said:
... any ideas on how long it takes to mill cherry that is 24" od and 10' lenghths
My 395XP, which is I think about same cc as your 660, will mill through 24 inches of cherry about 4-5 seconds per inch with a sharp chain. Therefore, a 10 ft long slab should take about 10 minutes or so.

Not trying to derail this thread but I was wondering if you found out anything about your 395 Woodshop?

jefeVTtreeman said:
i hope to do the big bore kit for the 650 in jan so she work fine then. Thanks for the info. any ideas on how long it takes to mill cherry that is 24" od and 10' lenghths i maintain some land nearby and the owner will let me have anything i want which is usally 8 cords of wood a year but she has lots of nice cherry and was think of getting into better uses for the wood.
Dunno.
Time it, tape it, post it. Hm, over 1Mb, ttyl. :)

Back