Which used professional grade saw has less vibration and good parts availability?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishJeanyus

Reaction score
Well first I would like to thank all the people who have contributed so much useful information to this site. I have lurked around for a while and been more entertained by some of the threads on here than anything Hollywood has produced in the last 15 years--seriously:).

My situation is that I am essentially a landscaper but recently I have had the opportunity to work with an arborist friend and I really enjoy the work. Due to a wrist that is held together with 12 screws, 2 plates, a bone graft and a re-routed tendon I am concerned about the amount of vibration the saw puts out.

So I am looking for a good used professional grade saw that can confidently run a 24" bar and hopefully not kill my wrist with excessive vibration. In my area all the used saws are either Stihl or Husqvarna. So between those two brands which would be a better choice as far as ability to be rebuilt and the quality of aftermarket parts that are available. I am very handy with a wrench and never mind getting greasy!

Any particular model recommendations would be appreciated. And yeah I have read quite a few Husq vs. Stihl threads--not looking to start any of that here.

Fwiw I've had several people tell me that my Jonsered 2186 runs extremely smooth. Plus you can often find the 85 cc saws for less than the 70 cc saws.

Differences in chain ( and the way it's sharpened) most likely will affect felt vibes.

KWF-online ( a reputable Euro testing firm) tests and publishes Vibes as well as other criteria. Once you've narrowed down several models you can google "kwf test ms261", "kwf test 550xp", etc.

Different people will have different Opinions of how 'smooth' a particular saw 'feels'.

ex: http://www.kwf-online.de/deutsch/pruef/pruefergebnisse/aagw/motorsaegen/6384_12e.pdf

ex: http://www.kwf-online.de/deutsch/pruef/pruefergebnisse/aagw/motorsaegen/6909_14e.pdf

With what the cost of all of that medical stuff you list why even bother thinking about used?
The UK Stihl site seems to have the vibration ratings, the USA Husky site does.
Those ratings are I believe three values sort of averaged, one being at idle. A saw that will pull that 24 inch bar (I assume you mean normal chain not skip) is going to really pulse at idle in my limited experience. I am not going to give you an answer but might suggest thinking about the smallest saw that can run a 24 inch bar with skip chain. Maybe something like a husky 550. There are going to be stresses holding the saw that may or may not aggravate your medical situation.

low vibration means you'll definitely not be interested in most of stihls offerings :D depending on the wood needing cut i'd suggest either a 562 or a 372. if your tough a 576. 576 is ultra smooth and very capable but heavier. a 441 stihl would also be decent for a 24" bar but every stihl with spring AV i have ran to date has been pretty mushy which is why i would not suggest the 361/362. they suck unless you like mushy AV and a lack in power :D

Husky 576xp AT is suppose to be as smooth as they can get. Supposedly the bit of extra weight it has over the 372 is to help counter-act the vibrations, and the autotune keeps it running smooth. Would pull a 24" quite well.

I'd be concerned with vibrations too, make sure you can try out the saw first if possible.

Spring AV will be better than rubber mounts as isolating the vibs (instead of trying to dampen them) so most of the time Husky will win out. Some newer Stihl saws use springs though.

The smoothest I've heard of is a 562xp, but it's a relatively new saw, so finding a used one is harder than say an older model like the 372xp. By the way, I'm trying to sell a 372xp right now.

All questions answered have been in regards to vibration but the OP did ask about aftermarket parts quality/availability as well.
562? Don't know much about AM.
576? 441? Pretty sure they're lacking in quantity and quality of aftermarket parts.
372xp? Hands down, awesome aftermarket AND used OEM parts support. Parts for those saws are everywhere. You can build a saw from aftermarket stuff. Huge variety depending on what you need.
Vibes on a 372 don't bother me much. My 2260 certainly is smoother, but not a huge deal for me.

Wow, lots of replies. Thanks a bunch and I do appreciate it. I will try the KFW-online as a base reference point, but it sounds like I just need to try out as many saws as I can before buying. Guess I will have to pester my arborist buddy to let me test drive a few of his saws.

@Franny K . If I had to actually pay out of pocket for the medical help I received I wouldn't have been able to afford even the computer I'm typing on right now. I was beyond lucky given my circumstances and got patched up at Stanford Hospital by one of the top five hand surgeons on the West Coast. I like buying a quality item used at a good price as there often is great value to be found. Plus I love any excuse to tear something apart and make it better:) Thanks again and have a nice day.

O.P-"So I am looking for a good used professional grade saw that can confidently run a 24" bar and hopefully not kill my wrist with excessive vibration. In my area all the used saws are either Stihl or Husqvarna. So between those two brands which would be a better choice as far as ability to be rebuilt and the quality of aftermarket parts that are available. I am very handy with a wrench and never mind getting greasy!"
"Confidently run a 24" bar" is key here. Ive had 026, 346, 359, stock 562, 372s. If you want to "confidently" run a 24, I would buy a 70cc saw. I LOVE THE 372. It isn't as smooth as the 562, but with a 24" bar, the 562 buried is NO FUN! I ran another cutters new 576xp on a job I had, and it was SMOOOOTH! Didn't fit me quite right though.
For me, 372, 24" pro bar, pro full comp chain(stihl) keep rakers up, cutters super sharp.

Back