white pine trees diseased?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nellie

Reaction score
We live in southern Michigan and have 4 white pine trees, about 40 feet tall, in a bed area. One tree is totally brown and the other 3 are starting to have yellow needles that fall off when touched. Some of the trees have white spots on the needles. I first thought the brown tree was due to drought, but the others have been well watered. I do not want to lose these beautiful trees. There is also a blue spruce, same height, in the same bed. Please give me suggestions on where to turn for help. I have had one tree company here, but they were not much help.

Hey nellie, is the one white pine totally brown? It is normal for the interior needles to turn yellow or brown and fall off to the touch this time of year. You should still have green needles on the outmost part of the limb though. If this tree is totally brown , could it have been hit by lightening in the past year? Take a close look at the trunk , is there a scar running up the tree or is there any soil disruption near the point where the trunk meets the soil?
For one tree in a stand of pines to die , i would say that it is probably not an insect problem. Look closely at the tree and describe any symptoms ok? also look at the ground, anything different with this tree? Do you have white pine blister rust in your area? Check with your local university extention service. Is the soil a wet area or dry? I am curious so please write back ok? thanks , John

you mentioned that some of the needdles had white spots on them this could be pine needle scale these are a piercing/sucking insect from the order homoptera they suck the sap from the needles may weeken trees and cause a pale green sickly appearence then turns yellow and if untreated may cause brown needles and drop. adult males are pure white and 1/25" long females are 1/10" almost white and have orange nipple-like structure at the end. take a look under magnification and respond back if you find anything.

i'm practicing for my insects and diseases class.

You say in a bed, was there any grade changes in the past 5-10 years?

White pines like a well drained, rich, acid soil. If you are watering with lake water, or form wells that are in a limestone aquafer, you may be buffering any acidity the trees are putting into the soil. Arcoss the lake here in MKE, WI we have problems growing this tree to maturity because of these problems. It also is not very urban tolerant either.

Latest posts

Back