Who Uses Their Log Splitter Vertical?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I I would also agree with the most of you that verticals are hard on the back.

That's what this is for:

attachment.php

1000# capacity. TSC carries them. Northern Tool does sometimes. Made by Milwaukee. Great for moving big rounds to the splitter.

I'm glad I have vertical

I'm glad I have the option to go both ways , I do use the vertical on the big ones , that way no one gets hurt trying to lift the big ones

TEDMI.

100_0019-1.jpg

That's what this is for:

attachment.php

1000# capacity. TSC carries them. Northern Tool does sometimes. Made by Milwaukee. Great for moving big rounds to the splitter.
Mark, I have one of my own. Time to bring this Dolly out of the closet and put her to work. She even has wide balloon tires. :greenchainsaw:

A simple rope or a bungee cord can wrap around the big round to also help move it. Mark, if you give me a long enough lever, I can lift the world. :)

I, as I suspect most of us do, load all my rounds at the site and haul home for splitting. Therefore, anything arriving at the splitter site is small enough to lift onto the beam, after all, I have already lifted it once into the truck. Most of what will be run through the splitter comes off the tailgate right onto the beam anyhow.

Stuff too big to lift gets busted down with wedge/sledge or noodled.

No way will I crawl around on my knees at ground level wrestling big rounds.

Harry K

Big Rounds Have a Lot to Say

Harry said, "Most of what will be run through the splitter comes off the tailgate right onto the beam anyhow."
-------------------
I have tried this method also, but many times I cannot split immediately what I have just loaded onto the truck. In my case, the rounds usually have to be unloaded and stored somewhere near the split stack.

Also, if the rounds are cut green, most wood species split much easier after the rounds sit for awhile. The rounds will even let you know the optimal splitting orientatations for the wedge as they check up. In short, they talk to me.

So, rather than pick the big rounds back up again and load them onto a horizontal beam, I split them with the beam in the vertical position. Sitting on an old chair or on another big round keeps me off my knees. I toss the split logs into a wheelbarrow and when it's mounded up full, I wheel it to the stack.

I, as I suspect most of us do, load all my rounds at the site and haul home for splitting. Therefore, anything arriving at the splitter site is small enough to lift onto the beam, after all, I have already lifted it once into the truck.

Not me, Harry. A lot of what I burn gets loaded by a grapple. We're talking about 36" oak rounds, and bigger. It gets rolled off the truck and it's not getting lifted up onto any splitter beam! :dizzy: It's either split vertically or noodle it. The only thing I've noodled so far has been some 54" old dry oak. That was a bit much to handle in one piece!

I used to split that stuff manually until I got my splitter. The only real difference in handling is that now I don't have to get it up on the splitting block - just nudge it onto the splitter foot.

But then, my splitter is portable, so I move it to the wood, not the other way around. ;)

Mark, I have one of my own. Time to bring this Dolly out of the closet and put her to work. She even has wide balloon tires. :greenchainsaw:

A simple rope or a bungee cord can wrap around the big round to also help move it. Mark, if you give me a long enough lever, I can lift the world. :)

Yep. I use a simple 1" cargo strap to secure the round, and sometimes I have a boy or two lifting the front end (not often), and away we go. I can flop it right down on the splitter foot and start splitting. I also put a round rock 'bout the size of a grapefruit in front of the splitter. It acts as a bearing, and lets me rotate the round with very little trouble.

You gotta be smarter than the wood you're splitting, boys. :D

:cheers:

I, as I suspect most of us do, load all my rounds at the site and haul home for splitting. Therefore, anything arriving at the splitter site is small enough to lift onto the beam, after all, I have already lifted it once into the truck. Most of what will be run through the splitter comes off the tailgate right onto the beam anyhow.

Harry K

Not all of the big rounds get picked-up when I drag the wood home. Most of the time I use a trailer with a long ramp type tail gate and the large rounds get rolled up on and off the trailer. That has been a back saver.

Bill

Latest posts

Back