Why is it called a "rescue knot"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On the DVD "Tree Climbing Basics," Jenkins talks about putting a figure 8 knot on the bridge between the figure-8 loop and the Blake's "B-53" Hitch when using the SRT.

He doesn't seem to have explained why that knot is called a rescue knot. Can anyone clue me in?

I just did my first climb today using his techniques and a Prusik loop to get up the rope and it went great! The only thing that makes me a little uneasy is coming back down, where you allow the Blake's to slip. I can see where a "panic grap" on the Blake's could send you all the way down...so I keep tying loops every foot or so just to be safe! :givebeer:

Last edited:
Treeco is right but to expound a little more. When using the tail of your rope to tie your friction hitch, obviously both your bridge and your working end are the same rope and the same color. It can be very easy for someone on the ground to mess up where to cut with a pole-clip to lower someone out of the tree. The figure 8 is used as a point of reference to identify the bridge. Cut the bridge and lower the climber. Cut the working end, and not so good. Is the same reason many climbers use a splittail of a different color.

to further elaborate

it is no longer recommended to cut ANY part of the victims climbing system. They can be safely lowered on their own friction hitch.

it is no longer recommended to cut ANY part of the victims climbing system. They can be safely lowered on their own friction hitch.

Hmm, so that eliminates the chance of cutting in the wrong place. I guess you would just tell the victim to pull down on the top of the friction hitch while belaying them down in the conventional way...?

Hmm, so that eliminates the chance of cutting in the wrong place. I guess you would just tell the victim to pull down on the top of the friction hitch while belaying them down in the conventional way...?

More likely you would do it for them. I would strongly suggest you go to a local tree climbing competition or EHAP training to see an AR in action before you put yourself in a position where you may need to perform one.

Ideally yes. But I can envision some scenarios where cutting the bridge and lowering from the ground could be the safest, easiest options.

If you have an injured or unconsious man stuck in a hot tree, sending up another climber may be impossible. Cutting the bridge and lowering from the ground could save a life. But obviously, that's already a very stressful situation, so making the wrong cut could easily kill someone.

If the rescue knot is tied in the bridge, it helps identify where to cut, or as already noted, use a bridge of a different color than the lifeline.

An option to allow a climber to be lowered from the ground without making any cuts in his/her climbing system is to use an adjustable false crotch as the TIP. Then if something happens, the climbers whole system can be lowered with the adjustable false crotch from the ground.

Also, even though all of us knows we shouldn't, I'm sure there are times when we go up a tree without someone there capable of rescuing us. I know I do sometimes. Having someone who's capable of cutting the bridge and lowering a climber could be the difference.

I've done two practice aerial rescues, both low altitude, around 20'. The first time I connected the "victim" to my gear, and lowered us both on my rope. The transition from his rope to mine was difficult and slow. Coming down with nearly 400# on my taughtline hitch (long since retired) was not smooth or easy either. I could do it much faster now, but that try took just under 5 mins, putting on gaff and saddle, climbing up, tying in, transfering victim, and coming down.

The second try, put on gear, climb up, tie in, grab the victims friction hitch, and lower us both. By far easier, and back on the ground in less than 2 mins. This alone is a great reason to never be working without a lifeline tied in and ready to bring you back to earth.

The crew I was on was the only one which did ANY practice rescues, and a buddy of mine kept working there for more than a year after I left. He said it was discussed during EHAP day, but that none of their crews had actually done any practices.

From my limited experience, I can tell you that even a practice rescue is stressful, and more difficult than you'll imagine it. Everyone who may someday need to rescue someone from a tree should give it a practice run or two.

my 2 cents.

Another reason, if you ever have to cut to lower, cut between the figure 8 and the taught-line hitch, if by some reason the snap is not tied on correctly, the 8 is too big to slide through the eye. What are the odds? But hey, anything is possible.
I agree with previous posters about using other persons hitch to lower them with if possible. Just safety yourself to the victim so you don't get seperated.
I did a practice rescue on a 150lb. "dummy" once and it is not nearly as easy as you might think.

Aerial Rescue

Back when Aerial rescue was first taught to many climbers were cutting the wrong piece of rope, and dropping 1 or both climbers. All of our Trainees have to do it and we practice every Month. Just 1 of those things everyone should know and Hope never to have to use. I have to do 2 in 27 Years ( Both small things). But when I needed to be rescued no one knew how. I once had the my lights turned out by a 9500 Volt line I came to and had to bring myself down. Left my a bit nutty over everyone knowing how along with a good CPR/ First-Aid Class! Try the TCIA ( Tree Care Industry Association )or the ISA( International Society of Arboriculture

Latest posts

Back