• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Will trade 'West Coast' Stihl 066 Flat Top for Stihl MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I might be dead wrong, but I think this is a great trade offer...

I have a very nice Stihl 066 flat top with a full wrap handlebar and the larger “West Coast” chain sprocket cover and spikes. It has a factory dual port muffler and a rim sprocket currently sporting a 3/8-8. It makes about 160 psi and the piston & cylinder are in excellent condition. The cylinder wall is like a mirror and the piston has the machining/lubrication grooves in it like the day it was made. This saw looks to have been treated very well. It looks like it might have been a red light with a coil swap and the light removed? See my previous post HERE. The serial number is 126317547 and it was originally purchased in 1995 in Long Beach, CA.

I very recently acquired this saw and it needs just a bit of work before it’s ready for use. I’ve been wanting an MS440 for quite awhile and this may finally be my ticket to ride! Here’s the honest truth as I know it; the saw needs one of the top shroud screws, the plastic chain brake mechanism cover, the chain brake band, clutch springs, and the rubber chip guard from the rear of the chain sprocket cover. Most of the chip guard is present, but the lower part that protrudes is broken off. There is a small, ~1.5” crack in the chain sprocket that is barely noticeable. There is a melted spot on the front/right of the chain brake handle.

It starts easily, idles great, and revs awesome with nice throttle response and a great sound. I have only run the saw a couple of times to evaluate it, so I haven’t done much cutting. It passes both pressure and vacuum tests on the engine/crank and the fuel tank holds pressure as well. It oils just as it should.

Here’s the deal. I’m looking to trade this powerhead only for a very good condition complete MS440 that includes a Stihl bar and chain greater than 20". The saw should be in good working condition and ready for use. I’m looking for one that’s all OEM and not modified. You pay the actual cost of shipping for this saw and ship me your saw and we have a deal. If you have an MS440 that doesn’t quite fit the bill I’ve described a deal that includes some extra cash or trade might be considered as well.

I'm specifically looking for a very nice condition MS440. If I can't find one I might consider an 044, 046, or MS460. PM me, post here, or call/text 317-850-9638. If I don’t get any bites with my trade offer I’m going to purchase the few parts it needs and sell it outright, so if you’re interested but don’t have the trade just keep your eye out in the Tradin’ Post in the near future….

Upon request I’m more than happy to take more photos or video the saw running.

Thanks!
066 007.jpg066 008.jpg066 011.jpg066 012.jpg066 015.jpg

Last edited:
I have an 044, but it has a cracked air filter cover?

I'm sure someone will have a nice 440 to trade on that beast.. But, if for some strange, odd, obscure chance they don't? Then PM me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 44
this is no cherry ,some fading and scratches ,but a good runner ,stock jug ,has new piston ,and main bearings ,has about 6-7 tanks run through since rebuilt ,have a 25 inch stihl bar ,it's dirty in pics but a solid runner

ms440 9-26-13 065.jpgms440 9-26-13 064.jpgms440 9-26-13 061.jpgms440 9-26-13 062.jpgms440 9-26-13 063.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back