willow tree problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joej4321

Reaction score
I have a 60-80 year old huge weeping willow tree in my yard...a huge branch about 10 feet from the ground (36 inches in diameter) broke off recently and i noticed rot in the center of the branch perhaps caused by some bug (there were insect holes)...i cut the branch to the trunk but there is a hole from the rot/insect still in the center of the freshly cut limb--flush to the trunk....my question is should i dig all the rot out as far as i can go...and plug the hole with something like cement...i'm concerned that the bug or rot may now attack the trunk of the tree even further.....right now i have tared the end....what should i do? also the tree is probably 60 feet from my house...it's probably 100-120 feet tall.

i'm in upstate new york.

willow tree problem

I have a 60-80 year old huge weeping willow tree in my yard...a huge branch about 10 feet from the ground (36 inches in diameter) broke off recently and i noticed rot in the center of the branch perhaps caused by some bug (there were insect holes)...i cut the branch to the trunk but there is a hole from the rot/insect still in the center of the freshly cut limb--flush to the trunk....my question is should i dig all the rot out as far as i can go...and plug the hole with something like cement...i'm concerned that the bug or rot may now attack the trunk of the tree even further.....right now i have tared the end....what should i do? also the tree is probably 60 feet from my house...it's probably 100-120 feet tall.

i'm in upstate new york.[/QUOTE]

The breakage of such large branche can disturb overall tree balance and if there is possibility of the falling of it on the house this should be analyzed from this point of view. Was the situation going worse or better.
Age 80-90 years for willows is rather oldish and most of them in such age are infected by different funguses. So, the overall condition of the tree is advisable to be estimated by a arborist for the making plans for the future ;)

If you have 3' branches rotting out and failing, the tree is too far gone for experimentation with excavating and filling. Think of safety first; get the tree cut short enough to remove the hazard to your home and other valuable targets.

I know you don't want to lose this tree, but willows grow fast when young so you can consider replacement too. Post some pictures of the whole tree and the wound and you may get something more than gloomadddoom here

If it was a huge weeping willow and it wsn't dropping big branches, I'd want to know what's wrong with it.
Can you post some pictures? If so, you'll get better responses.
I'd also want to know exactly what kind of willow it is, pictures would help with ID.

The second picture shows a crack that looks exactly like lightening damage, which could explain why the top is dead. Secondly, the site looks dry for a willow, especially considering a large part of the country has been dealing with drought this year, and the even last few years.
I would remove the dead limbs and start watering the tree. Give it a good soaking twice a week, if it doesn't get it from natural rainfall. A lawn sprinkler under the tree for a half hour or forty five minutes should do the trick. Continue the watering until freezing weather, and re-start in spring, although you'll find you won't need much additional water with the spring rains.
It will also help to make a mulch bed under the tree that extends a few feet wider than the drip line of the tree. This will help retain water and add organic matter as it decomposes. We've talked about how to make a proper mulch bed a few times in the last week or two.
You should see a noticeable improvement and after a year or three, after which, reduce the watering to times when it's hot and dry in mid summer, or during droughts. I guess ultimately you want the tree to be self sufficient.

Yes, reminds lightening damage.
May be remove the dead top, dead brances and the damaged branch too (IMO). Removal of the last one seem that will not decrease the tree stability very much. The watering in dry periods will contribute also and after several years this willow probably will renew its crone

Willow Relief

Mike Maas said:
I got an email from a member who was having trouble posting some pictures of his willow problems, so here are two that I think are representitive of its trouble:

Dear Mike,
Thanks for posting my data and for the excellent advice. (The Willow is already smiling.) I'll be following your advice and will let you know how it goes. Best regards, Howard

Latest posts

Back