winter die-off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna Berger

Reaction score
We live in a zone 5 location (I try to plant zone 4 tolerant) with lots of deer. Every fall I net the newer evergreens, and mulch heavily around shrubs and younger trees.

Every spring, the die-off is considerable, for example, this year I lost 2 Leyland Cyprus, 3 winter-berry hollies, 1 mountain laurel and one 4 foot pansy leaf red bud. Maybe the deer are moving the nets, or could it be wind, runoff, ice storms? The die-off is mostly on specimen plantings. What are the principal reasons for winter-die off? I have a 100 foot hedge of boxwood that is only 3 years old, and that seems to be fine. Thanks for your help!

Uh... I think this really really really needs to go to the right forum....

:shock:

Naw-leave it here. Some people at this site equate tree lives with peoples lives.

Can't help without a picture. Try posting one; up close it's easy to see the difference tween deer and cold injury.

Boxwoods don't get hurt cuz they smell like p; nothin wants to get near em.

Clarence, still bashing and still true to the fearmonger's creed, I see. Why not offer your advice on cold injury, or else go hug a power pole?

sedanman said:
Why don't you just delete it?

LOL It was the thread title... "Winter Die-off" in the I&F forum that grabbed MY attention! Kind of a triple-take. :dizzy:

Erik, how moderate is it to laugh at a homeowner looking for help? You could have either quietly moved it or made fun of the post; better choice next time I hope.

Is there a pattern to the foliage loss? Does it mostly happen on the southern exposures or exposures that face prevailing winds?
What type of netting do you use?
Guy, what are the reasons for winter die off? I know desiccation is a biggy with evergreens, and freezing for non-hardy plants.

By the way, no offense intended to Donna.

What came thru my mind was the mental image of a bunch of winter-fat climbers (like me) having heart-attacks or something from suddenly getting back in to the tree season. Hence, "winter die-back". This was rung home a few weeks ago on my first climbing work of the year.... man, those extra 15 (okay, so it was 20) pounds I stuffed on this winter sure made me feel it by days' end.

One thing that helps is if you water the plants in with a good soaking just before the ground freezes. That's a new planting tip, but it applies to trees that suffer from winter burn too.
As far as what trees do well in your area, visit your local parks, arboretum, or botanical gardens, for mature samples of what you might plant.
If they make it to maturity there, they should do alright in your yard, unless they are planted in a courtyard or some other micro-climate.
I find a lot of garden centers and nurseries sell plants that just are not hardy in their area.

Back