Winter Hauling Oh Joy!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is that time of year that we can go from enjoying the winter scenery to sheer terror as we slide on the ice. I'm learning to really like the new Chevy. It has studded tires all around and the Allison Transmission thingy that lets me gear it down when going down an icy hill. It's the first automatic I've liked. Anyway, here are some photos of the steep road and how a truck is getting up and down it, and landing pictures. I walked the road because I'm putting on too much winter insulating material.

This is the road I had previously shown construction pictures of. Now it is right of way timber hauling time.

Here's the pretty scenery.
attachment.php

Ahhh, the landing. It was a half mile walk in and the truck was almost loaded by the time I got there. He was towed up by the D-7. This is also the truck that youse guys wanted the cinnamon rolls to go to.:)
attachment.php

Tightening down the wrappers which will be done again at the bottom of the road. Even the front wheels have chains on them. He had some problems with the brakes on his first trip down.
attachment.php

Now time for a push.
attachment.php

Around the corner, then the road starts a 18% grade downhill, the cat backs off and it is Let 'er Buck time.
attachment.php

The chains will come off about 13 miles down when he hits the sanded county road.

And now I remember why it's not fun to hook in the wet snow all day...

Great pics slowp!!:clap:

Tightening down the wrappers which will be done again at the bottom of the road. Even the front wheels have chains on them. He had some problems with the brakes on his first trip down.

The chains will come off about 13 miles down when he hits the sanded county road.

Yup...you know it's bad when you have to chain up the steer tires. I couldn't see the trailer tires...did he have drag chains on, too?

You know what is really fun? Having the jake quit, the speedo go to zero and nuthin' happens. All this with the truck and trailer chained up. The cheeks got a death grip on the seat and against better judgment, I stepped on the throttle to keep from stalling the engine before I hit the bridge. After a few weeks of that and chaining up three times a day I figured there had to be a better way to make a living. Sure do miss being in the bush during winter though, the sights, sounds, and smells were great.

How many loads do you guys get out in a day?

I'm thinking, since they have to haul a long distance, just the two trucks. But I'm also thinking his objective is to just make enough to keep his crew working and together right now. He's got good people and some have worked forever for him. They are hauling the bigger logs right now too. He isn't sure whether he'll continue to fight the snow and yard this winter.

This outfit can really ramp up production when they want though. They've surprised me. The loader operator is age 70 or real close and he is fast on the machine. They do quality work too.

Last edited:
Well putting chains on and taking them off several times a day sounds like my idea of fun!

I'll be right up to help :)

'Cool' pics, SlowP. I wouldn't want to drive that truck, but I'd be happy to run shovel with cab heater.

Snow too mucho here. I worked unitl last week, and we had 1.5 feet or so, now I hear it's down to almost two feet from darn near four feet before this melt off happened. Sure hope to be back by Monday. I hate watching trucks roll down the road locally and not be working.

Snow too mucho here. I worked unitl last week, and we had 1.5 feet or so, now I hear it's down to almost two feet from darn near four feet before this melt off happened. Sure hope to be back by Monday. I hate watching trucks roll down the road locally and not be working.

Yeah, get back to work! That's why they make grain shovels! ;)

:laugh:

definitely looks like a winter wonderland out there

nice pics, thanks for sharing

Back