Wiring a second t-stat

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS44889

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Central Boiler wood burner that I have plumbed for hot water and heating. The problem I'm having is how to control the furnace blower using the thermostat. Ideally what I would like to happen is to have 2 t-stats, one to control the propane furnace as originally installed, with the second one just controlling the blower. Any idea on how to wire this??

Dave

there is many ways..... my way

Red wire_ 24v
White wire_GAS
green wire_fan only (AC)

red and white touch-gas kicks on

red and green touch fan kick on (so will the AC so shut the AC power off)

so take a jumper from the old thermostat red wire to the red side of the 2nd thermostat.

take the green wire from the gas stove and put it on the white side of the second thermostat.

works well unless you have a very old unit then you need a fan center...

I hope this helps.

There are several threads on here with many options for different systems. Try "search" above to find them. My gas furnace has a multi speed blower and the thermostat has a "fan on" feature. I simply wired another thermostat in series with one of two wires attached to the "fan on" switch. (Red and green I believe)

To use a this set up you set the OWB 'stat at the desired temp and then switch the fan on switch to on. The fan will then run when the thermostat calls for heat. The gas furnace 'stat is set a few degrees below for back up.

I have also never had the air conditioner try to run as I have read with some other set ups.

HOw does your blower work as far as changing speeds? My air handlers have three wires coming out of the blower motor. Each one, gives a different blower speed. The units have only one wire hooked up right now. If I want different blower speeds, I have to change the wires. Is there a way to utilize multi speed blower without manually changing the wires?

HOw does your blower work as far as changing speeds? My air handlers have three wires coming out of the blower motor. Each one, gives a different blower speed. The units have only one wire hooked up right now. If I want different blower speeds, I have to change the wires. Is there a way to utilize multi speed blower without manually changing the wires?

Dont confuse me with an HVAC expert, LOL
There are different "taps?" for the blower speeds and usually the "fan on" feature will be wired to the higher speeds than heat also A/C operation will be at higher fan speeds. With all the gadget filled computer thermostats around id bet one offers what you want.

Back