Wondering about outdoor wood gasification furnaces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerboybill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all,

My house is a drafty old farmhouse built in the 30s about 2400 sq ft. I plan on building a heated shop "someday". I'm currently heating with fuel oil in a 15 year old furnace in the basement. We just fueled the pig up this week for the third time - $600 a pop. We keep the house at 60 degrees pretty much all the time except we bump it up to 68 degrees from about 5 pm to 9 pm. the farm is 360 acres with at least 80 acres of woods. Lots of black locust, burr oak, black walnut, shagbark hickory, cherry, etc. Also plenty of boxelder, cedar, and aspen...

Local guy is clearancing out his outdoor wood gasification units. Supposed to handle 6000 sq feet. He want $6700 for all materials and $750 to install it. Brand new, no warranty. I can be burning wood by next friday for $7400...

Whaddya think?

Hey all,

My house is a drafty old farmhouse built in the 30s about 2400 sq ft. I plan on building a heated shop "someday". I'm currently heating with fuel oil in a 15 year old furnace in the basement. We just fueled the pig up this week for the third time - $600 a pop. We keep the house at 60 degrees pretty much all the time except we bump it up to 68 degrees from about 5 pm to 9 pm. the farm is 360 acres with at least 80 acres of woods. Lots of black locust, burr oak, black walnut, shagbark hickory, cherry, etc. Also plenty of boxelder, cedar, and aspen...

Local guy is clearancing out his outdoor wood gasification units. Supposed to handle 6000 sq feet. He want $6700 for all materials and $750 to install it. Brand new, no warranty. I can be burning wood by next friday for $7400...

Whaddya think?

Sounds like a no brainer... But:confused2: what brand is he selling?

He's selling out his remaining inventory of Sequoyah 3300 stoves. He designed and built them and they are the first EPA certified stove. Didn't mention that part 'cause it doesn't mean much either way to me. It's a well built stove that was made in Appleton WI. Once he sell these last 7, that will be the end of them. :(

I guess it would be a big deal to list the website here - http://www.wdheat.com/Gasification E3400.htm

GET IT DONE!!!!:rock: And by this time next year you will wonder why you didn't do it 5 years ago..... Especially when the old lady is running around in her skivvies when she has the t-stat cranked up to 72!!!

Especially when the old lady is running around in her skivvies when she has the t-stat cranked up to 72!!!

I can personally attest to that... when the house is chilly my wife bundles up tight and it's impossible to get through that bundle.... keep the house good and warm and she practically walks around naked... the short of it is, keep the house toasty and you will be a lot happier in the long run. :msp_smile:

+ get the wood cut & drying pronto! I think gassifiers can get somewhat problematic from wetter wood......not sure

I'd put a large efficient wood stove in the house, for less than half that money.
But that's just me
:cheers:

I really like the wood stove too there Sunfish...And would never get rid of it!!! But not everyone is a die hard flame watcher, and those OWB are pretty amazing...:jawdrop: Stay warm bro...

That's not a bad price installed, but be ready for a lot of wood cutting!

Then get you a good wood stove, when the power goes out you still stay warm while cooking up a pot of stew.

But the best thing you can do is get that house insulated the best you can.

I have an OWB and I would give it up before I would give up a good wood stove. JMHO

I could get you a SJ125 for half of that and you'd burn half the wood.

What happens when you need parts?
Just sayin....

it was sounding really good until you said once they're gone they're gone...meaning he's not a dealer anyomore? I wouldn't like that....no dealer around?

it was sounding really good until you said once they're gone they're gone...meaning he's not a dealer anyomore? I wouldn't like that....no dealer around?
just because a furnace mfr. has been around since whatever dont mean its going to survive economically & not go bankrupt, especially if the EPA cuts down their existing market due to untested results.
It aint rocket science to plug a gas analyzer into an efficiently wood burning burner & report the #s,eh?

Hey all,

I was kinda hoping to put a wood burning furnace in the basement, but there's just no room. I was gonna dig out another room down there, but I can't possibly do that for the cost of this unit.

Anyway, I'm gonna pull the trigger on one.

Thanks for the input.

Bill

It aint rocket science to plug a gas analyzer into an efficiently wood burning burner & report the #s,eh?

Your a flaming idiot if you think that's all that's required....
There's 22pages in the "proposed" standard and I say proposed because it has not been adopted yet to comply with.
There's an air disolution tunnel,filters,scales not to mention the proper fuel sources at the proper moisture levels to do this test and it all must be verified...along with every step being documented.

Here again Pook you don't have a freaking clue.

Your a flaming idiot if you think that's all that's required....
There's 22pages in the "proposed" standard and I say proposed because it has not been adopted yet to comply with.
There's an air disolution tunnel,filters,scales not to mention the proper fuel sources at the proper moisture levels to do this test and it all must be verified...along with every step being documented.

Here again Pook you don't have a freaking clue.

I'm just glad I live where you can still burn what you want, where you want, when you want to. They don't pay you enough Keith...:hmm3grin2orange:

Jim Davis
December 22, 2010
@ 12:13 PM

Contact this user
Wood analysis
Yes you can use a combustion analyzer to set up a wood appliance. I have used them on residential and commercial. Wood and coal are both solid fuels and you can use it on both. They have filters on them to filter out the debri.
Controlling draft on wood or any fuel helps make the fuel burn hotter by controlling dilution air. Therefore you will have less creosote on wood if it burns hotter. On wood the CO reading is the most critical in the set-up. It helps establish the under-fire air and the over-fire air, minimum and maximum air. The lower the CO the more you know you are going in the right direction. The lower the CO the more complete the combustion and the less ash. On coal it is less clinkers.

Jim Davis
December 22, 2010
@ 12:13 PM

Contact this user
Wood analysis
Yes you can use a combustion analyzer to set up a wood appliance. I have used them on residential and commercial. Wood and coal are both solid fuels and you can use it on both. They have filters on them to filter out the debri.
Controlling draft on wood or any fuel helps make the fuel burn hotter by controlling dilution air. Therefore you will have less creosote on wood if it burns hotter. On wood the CO reading is the most critical in the set-up. It helps establish the under-fire air and the over-fire air, minimum and maximum air. The lower the CO the more you know you are going in the right direction. The lower the CO the more complete the combustion and the less ash. On coal it is less clinkers.

Your taking that out of context.....

Latest posts

Back