Wondering what kind of tree this is

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyprice

Reaction score
I can't find it on any of the normal tree ID sites. The tree itself is small, trunk is only 2" in diameter or so, but its pretty tall for that size, 10 to 12 feet I'd say. The leaves grow in clusters at the end of the branch and are HUGE - 2' long and 1+' wide. I can't get any pics over to this computer yet, but am working on finding the cable, so they will be along if needed.

Thanks
Joey

Here is a shot of the leaves

Not sure this is going to work, never seen a file manager on a forum web site before.

Looks like Yellow Buckeye to me. does it have any fruit (seed pods)? If it does and they are smooth it is definitely Yellow Buckeye. If they are prickly then Ohio Buckeye.

Looks like one of the wild Magnolias to me.
There are several different types.

David

I agree that it's a Buckeye, I dont know what kind of Buckeye it is. I'm only familiar with the Bottlebrush, but it has red petioles.

Buckeyes grow compound leaves.
These leaves are not compound.
Buckeyes dont grow HUGE leaves that are 2' long and 1' wide.
Wild ( non-evergreen ) magnolias do.

David

hard to tell scale with that picture, I missed the 1-2' leaves and assumed 1-2" :dizzy:

We don't see to many different magnolias around these parts, other than tuliptree. The leaf kind of looks like pictures of umbrella magnolia and matches your description of being deciduous. Umbrella Magnolia has a description of smooth bark though.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/1330080.jpg

Back