Wood Add On and Liners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newf_Caper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am considering getting a Wood Boiler add on to go with my Oil Furnace in the basement. I have a Masonry chimney with dual clay liners. One of them is being used for a stove in the living room and the other is venting the exhaust from the oil furnace in the basement. If I get a Wood add on put in in the basement next to the oil furnace could the two furnaces share the same liner?

I'm no expert on what local codes might require. We had a bare brick chimney,
with no liner of any kind. Wood furnace and gas furnace both vented into it.
About 5 years ago we replaced the gas furnace. When the guy installed it, had to run a seperate PVC outlet vent to the outside. By law, he couldn't vent it into the chimney.
Last spring we installed a Stainless Steel Liner in the brick chimney (8") to vent the wood furnace. That, you wouldn't have to do, but I'm almost sure your suppose to run them seperate.
Just my guess:)

Gregg,

Cool, So I could use a stainless steel liner for the wood add on and run a seperate PVC outlet vent to the outside for the Oil Furnace exhaust. Is your PVC exhaust vent to the outside low to the ground?

Cool, So I could use a stainless steel liner for the wood add on and run a seperate PVC outlet vent to the outside for the Oil Furnace exhaust. Is your PVC exhaust vent to the outside low to the ground?

On ours, it exits just above the foundation wall. These newer gas furnaces are more efficient than older ones also. I don't think you would have to use a SS chimney liner in yours. Yours allready has the clay liner, mine was old bare brick chimney, with no liner at all. Worried about brick and mortar deteriorating after all these years.
I'll let someone with professional experience comment on whether you can vent an oil burner through PVC or not.
But, if you can vent it that way, it would free up one of your existing clay liners for the wood furnace.:)

Gregg,

Thanks for the replies Greg.:cheers:

My Oil furnace is 4 years old (I bought the house last year) and seems to be quite efficient so PVC vent may be acceptable, will look into that. As for a SS liner for the wood add on goes I think you may be correct and i may not need one. I Just read this literature from a Canadian boiler manufacturer

"If the flue pipe connects to an existing chimney, the pipe should penetrate through the inner surface of the masonry wall, but not beyond (not into the space itself.) The connection should be made physically secure such as through the use of high temperature cement."

It shouldn't be done this way. Not just because 2 apliances sharing a single vent won't meet code but be cause of Why it doesn't.

There is a distinct possibility that the unburned carbon monoxide and other flue gasses will pool up in the unused appliance causing an explosion hazzard. Worse still is the possibility of the unused appliance venting these gasses to the room or area it's located, filling the home with odorless, colorless, tasteless and poisonious gasses.

absolutely not. i think you better hire a WETT certified contractor, you cannot use pvc for oil, the flue gas temperatures are too high. to use oil and wood in the same flue, oil vent has to be above the wood vent, and both appliances need to be ulc certified to work with each other.

No worries, If I decide to put in one I'll definitely get a WETT contractor to do the install... I just took a pic of the oil furnace set up. If oil vent has to be above the wood vent I've got plenty of room to work with.

Latest posts

Back