wood chip/biomass boilers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyischofield

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm curious if anybody is using a wood chip fired boiler.I know about a few on the market.I was trying to use a Portage&Main boiler but my investigation dismissed them as an option because I've been led to believe in Massachusetts the boiler needs an"ASME" certification.Is anyone using a "LEI Bio burner"?My Central Boiler E2300 is doing a fine job but they seem prone to firebox issues from the corrosive damage of the ashes.I'm confident I'll be donning my welders shield in the next year or two.Being a producer of biomass chips for years keeps me looking for a real world solution.Thanks in advance for any knowledge you could pass along.Gary

Gary, I'm not much help, but the P & M should not need certification, as it's only a hot water unit and not a true boiler. I watched their videos, and they look neat, but I don't have a use for it here.

I can't speak to specifics, but if its a pressure vessel of any sorts operating over 1 ATM of pressure, it has to be ASME certified to be sold. See 46 CFR 54 or 46 CFR 61 for details.
I believe most of what we are calling outside wood boilers are open the atmosphere at some point in the loop. the pump circulates the water. there may even have restrictions to build a bit of additional pressure, but the pressure wont exceed 1 ATM (about 14 psi).

correction to my information, 46CFR deals with maritime equipment. there should be one for land equipment.

Last edited:
Talk to them. I saw one in use at the fair, its awesome. I would think they would do best in an open ended car port tho. Alot of moving parts, and electrical for outdoor weather.

Latest posts

Back