Wood Week 09: Felling vol 3

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
More shots of felling for the family wood trip.

Link to vol 2:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=99178

This red oak had a slight lean down hill and towards that rock behind my dad. Our bike trail was uphill so I wedged it over. More work than I thought it would be...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pounding...
attachment.php

And over it goes.
attachment.php

Last edited:
The Big Oak....

This old red oak has been dead for a few years now...

Up until this year we didn't have a saw in our arsenal that would take it down without some major messing around.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Down it comes...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's my biggest tree so far..... It put a grin on my face... A bit scary though, ever wonder what you'd do if you felt your 660 going with the tree? From experience you let go before you even have time to think about it.

I've got some video but its huge, and I've never posted video so I've got some research to do before I'll post it.

nice pictures rowan.
haven't looked at the other threads yet (still have dial up only yet in this area)
i still have that 031 parts saw if you want it, yours for the taking

It looked like the center pulled out of the stump. As I tried to cut a bit more the chain became bound so I let it go...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixqFyiZTgzI

How should I have cut this?

Couldn't see you in the video but My guess would be look up more while cutting the back cut. When the top starts going stop cutting. By continuing the cut you run the risk of cutting through the hinge.

Last edited:
Thanks Todd...

Regarding stop cutting when top moves....

Agree'd that's what I should have done. The reason I didn't was that the hinge was sooooo large at the time (3" - 5") I was worried it may not break away from the stump, or possibly barber chair.

I've assumed the problem surrounds the huge amount of weight pulling towards the notch. In these situations would a smaller (depth and thickness) notch have helped?

The hinge actually pulled right out of the stump.....

Back