Workers Comp: Lyme disease?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jovary

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with lyme disease about 3 weeks ago and installed me with an IV catheter (PICC line) so i can take antibiotic at home daily. I can't lift anything over 5 lbs with my left arm, so naturally I have been out of work since.

Does anyone know if Lyme is ever covered by Workers comp? I have talked to my employer about it yet and I haven't found anything online about it either.

Sorry wrong forum, it was meant for arb 101

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Lyme disease is nasty, and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

I tried googling workers comp Lyme disease. It seems the answer is - it depends, and it might depend on your state regulations too. I'm sure the first response would be to deny your claim on the basis that you could have contracted Lyme disease outside of work hours. Much as I hate suggesting it you might need an experienced workers comp attorney to make a successful claim.

I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Lyme disease is nasty, and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

I tried googling workers comp Lyme disease. It seems the answer is - it depends, and it might depend on your state regulations too. I'm sure the first response would be to deny your claim on the basis that you could have contracted Lyme disease outside of work hours. Much as I hate suggesting it you might need an experienced workers comp attorney to make a successful claim.

:agree2:

Slightly off-topic but relevant for tick prevention for occasional use eg weekends. We use the Sawyer Permethrin Military Soak Treatment Kit to treat the clothes we will be wearing while working in the woods. It is one kit per person, and lasts for 6 weeks or 6 washings. Follow the directions and treat your shirt, trousers, and socks with this kit. We also wear our trousers tucked inside our socks. It looks a bit odd, but it does help since ticks now have to crawl past a treated barrier. We have had great results, even in areas very heavily infested with deer ticks. And if the odd tick does get past the barrier and does bite it seems to be half-dead and is easier to remove.

WC laws are state specific. Here in WI the lawyer doesn't get paid unless you do and it's a percentage of what you get. You might as well file for it, you won't need an attorney until/unless your claim gets denied.

Remember, it's an insurance policy your employer has been paying into on your behalf, no shame in claiming it as long as you're not trying to scam the system which obviously you aren't.

FWIW, I'm 41 and have had two spinal fusions since blowing my back out 11/98 replacing a boiler. Yep, I'm disabled, "on" W/C and SSDI. :(

Hope you get better and don't fall into the trap thinking that you're less of a man if you can no longer work (I don't wish that on anyone, it's NOT fun).

Latest posts

Back