Working smooth bark removals

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am doing a small Beech removal and have had a few surprises too many with rigging line slipping off the limbs. Before I get into the large heavy trunk sections I would like some input from those who have done Beech removals before. I am surprised at how quickly the limbs snap on the hinge cuts. I hope some of you can appreciate that I feel saddened cutting this grand ole lady down.

I will add a marl in addition to the running bowline on smooth tree limbs as an added security measure. On larger wood cut a small wedge for the rope to sit in, just make sure the edges are smooth so they do not cut the rope. Beech is a very pretty tree, they are sad to remove.

Half hitch then clove or clove with half on top of it and then two half hitches-has never failed me. I use this method when roping tall trees over houses when the limb will drop and then catch, like if the rigging crotch is below the point where you are cutting and the rope will be slack and then catch. Has allways worked for me.

Hell of a tree that beech. You should definatley ' grip up' with some extra hitches.
I find the hinge area of the stuff to be tough to snap/break especially on the trunk wood. I like it for its capacity to hold when needed but break clean and rip no bark.
A dead one can be a beech.

Latest posts

Back