worms / ants in Maple trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John MacNaughton

Reaction score
I have a Maple which has a slit in the side where it was damaged a long time ago. The bark has curved inword covering the damaged area, but there is a cavity where sawdust is falling out. Small wormlike insects, reddish brown in color and 1/2 to 3/4 inches long are falling out when I run a stick up inside the cavity. Also, ants are coming out when I disturb the area as well. What can I do? I don't want to chop it down! Can i treat it for infestation without damaging the tree? It seems to be in good health for now but the eating away at the wood cannot be doing it any good. HHHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!

[email protected]
(877) 919-1001 toll free.

I would say its a sugar maple borer.

The adult borer is an attractive black and yellow beetle about 25 mm long (cover). A prominent "W" design appears on the wing covers. Although it resembles the much more common locust borer, the sugar maple borer can be distinguished by its yellow legs and two black dots near the end of the wing covers (the locust borer has reddish-brown legs and no dots). Eggs are white and about 3 mm long. Larvae are robust and dirty white and have brownish chewing mouthparts. They are nearly 50 mm long when fully grown. Pupae develop deep within the wood and are seldom seen.

Several cultural means have been suggested to control sugar maple borer populations. They are based on the premise that large, low-vigor, and exposed trees are most likely to generate borers.

I believe the recommend cutting the exposed area down and burn or bury infested material.

I hope this doesnt sound like the bugs you have.
Darin

Back