Would you work as a consultant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopJimmy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, I live on some acreage and have a lot of trees. I keep the ones around the house trimmed up. Some are in poor condition, but the keep on growing. I am somewhat satisfied with what I have, but I should probably be doing some things differently.

Because of the number of trees that I have and because I like to trim them myself, and because I would rather buy another saw than hire an arborist to trim my trees, I will not likely ever hire a professional to trim for me.

So here is my question to the professional aborists. If someone called you and wanted to hire you as a consultant, would you be interested? What kind of hourly rate would you charge?

thanks,

Jim

Check Pruning in the link below for some free info.

TreeCo gave you an average range. For a consultant with more qualifications and experience, you'll pay more. Less, less.

"Some are in poor condition, but the keep on growing. I am somewhat satisfied with what I have, but I should probably be doing some things differently."

like maybe replace the worst ones? Doing it youirself is fine, as long as your self knows what to do. Good plan on getting a little oversight.

Around here consultants start at $125 and the more reputable ones command $250 - $350 per hour with a minimum of $500 for the initial consultation.

I bet if you called your local Bartlett Tree Expert he would stop by and give you some sage advise......... just be sure that you explain to him what your true motive is..........."a sale is not likely"

Yeah, I like being paid to give advice, doesn't happen enough. I'll even show you how to do it, as long as you pay for my time thats cool.

So fear not, jump on the blower and see what the going rates are for a consultation and get a bloke in and pick his brains. err, just make sure you get one with brains though. :laugh:

Neeeew chainsawwww.....

I do consultations all the time for $50/hr, often including how-to information. The people most likely to do it themselves are the ones who dont understand whats involved in doing it right. If I were you I would wait to see what your trees need and what it takes to do it before making the decision to do it yourself. Probably, there will be allot of work you can do with a little learning, and a few items that need professional attention. A good consultant should be able to help you work out a plan.

Its funny, possibly the number one reason Ive heard men (women dont seem to have this problem) cite for wanting to do it themselves is they want to buy a new chainsaw. Belive me, we can relate, but consider: if this were the begining of a Simpson's episode, the rest would just write itself wouldnt it?

"Neeeew chainsawwww..... (drool)"

"Around here consultants start at $125 and the more reputable ones command $250 - $350 per hour with a minimum of $500 for the initial consultation."

Now, that's downright inspiring. :bowdown: Cost of living must be steep up there.

If you do not know how to fell a tree, climb a tree or other tree work, a consultant will only provide you with enough information to get your self killed or crippled up for the remainder of your life.

Thanks for all of the input. Let me clarify a little. I do know how to fell a tree, but I do not plan to climb a tree. I have a scissor lift and a pole pruner that will allow me to do most any high work that I need to do. What I need help with is proper tree care. I know that there are alot of people that hold themselves out as professionals, but do butcher jobs on trees. I need help determining which trees are worth saving and what steps should be taken to save them and encourage good future growth.

Thanks again,

Jim

You will learn a lot form reading relevant arboricultural literature.

A consultant is the way to go, they should be able to provide what your after plus give you some reading material.

Consultant $65 per hour here average

It sounds like what you really need is some guidance as to what excactly is needed to be done and to what certain trees. With some patience, good listening & understanding you are probably capable of doing a reasonable job your self. The best way to get honest, unbiased advice is to hire a consultant. Someone with no alterior motive ($$$ from the job) will advise you to do only what is really needed and give some pointers on how to do it correctly. And the info is out there on how to make your cuts correctly. If you really want to do a good job, buy yourself a really good handsaw (Silky etc.) as well/ maybe instead of a new chainsaw depending on the type of pruning your arborist advises. The end result you achieve may be OK, but the art & science of Arboriculture is not learned in a 1hr consultation. Think about whatever your profession/expertise is and giving one of us an hours training in it. We my be able to get an end result we are satisfied with, but it will be far from a proffesional result.

I charge $110 per hr for consultations inc. travel one way. But unless you are willing to fly me over from Australia your best bet is to find a local:laugh:

Trev

Back