yale maxi-flip taking a beating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

802climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have here a 16' x 1/2" yale maxi-flip steel core flipline. Have probably used it for ten climbs. The first couple feet of the cover is showing a lot of wear. It is getting very pale colored and getting kind of fuzzy and torn up. And this is seriously with regular to light duty use. Oh and I am running it with a proper size Gibbs ascender.

Should I try waxing the thing or something? I guess I am used to the gas and oil soaked dark orange look but this is my first top of the line steel core flipline and I am surprised to see the cover wearing out so fast! The first couple feet of it's barely even orange anymore.... I have not been climbing especially rough trees. It couldn't be the Gibbs could it?

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

I have a maxi-flip sport and it has very little red color left in it. I started using it a few months ago. I doubt there is anything wrong with your flip line. Its just getting broke in is all. Think of it as becoming "seasoned".

Same here, my maxi flip is almost white on the first couple feet by the snap and i have only had it up in the tree maybe twice? Its the cable that holds you on these, the cover is just to protect the steel wire or more likely to protect the tree from the steel wire :laugh:. When you start to see metal poking through the cover then its time to start getting worried IMO

Yeah I have never seen one wear out like this so quickly and I have only ever been around the cheaper ones.. I'm sure it's just getting broken in, but the cover just doesn't seem very tough. The first couple feet from the snap is almost white and looks a little shredded....

Does anybody ever put Whip-It or something on these?

I don't use the Yale flip cord but I do put electrical tape on mine in the places where it shows wear.

I tape the first foot and a half or so to protect that portion of the flipline but only when it is brand new. The grab never touches that close to the end so it is only to protect the cover never to "repair" or hide damage. In my case I climb redwoods and firs as well as a few pines and cedars but only rarely an oak. The trunk diameter means the taped section never sees the grab and if the taped section gets pitchy from pines or firs I can remove and replace the tape. BTW I use the little Spectra extension between the grab and my belt.

I must also say I don't climb very much so take this for what it is worth.

I also am one of those guys who bend their spurs so what do I know.

My Maxi-Flip is the same way. Not worried at all but I am thinking of adding a chafe sleeve over the last 18 in. or so. Takes a beating on some of the rougher barked trees out here. I adjust mine with a distel hitch so I don't think rope grabs are the issue.

I replaced my very very aged flipline a couple months ago with a yale, and maybe on the first or second climb hit it with my handsaw, opening up about 1/3 of the rope wrap :-( None of the strength is in the rope, it's all in the steel core, but it looks so ugly now. I've kept climbing on it just because the things are so damn expensive in aus I was determined to get a bit of life out of it but I'll probably replace it soon. It has faded fast as well, but gets a lot of use.

Anyone got any idea what to do with it?

Shaun

Now it is really white and chewed up for the first couple feet. Probably used it for two dozen climbs maybe not even. Dont want to put a cover over it cause I like to be able to suck it in all the way and I do use a Gibbs on it.
If I was gonna use a cover I would probably use some bull rope cover.

Thinking about coating the first couple feet with WHIP-IT...Or something similar.... Anybody?
Rope Use Tools and Rope Care Supplies

I am not worried about it safety-wise i was just not expecting the orange cover to be so wimpy.

Back