yellow-orange slime on tree stumps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellen S.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi

We just bought a house and the previous owner essentially clearcut the yard just before she put it up for sale. According to neighbors and from what I can see growing back, there were lilacs, forsythia, and many mystery trees and large shrubs. Hole were drilled in some of the stumps and there is a viscous slime of vivid dark yellow to dark orange on the cut surfaces and oozing over the sides. There was more of it a few weeks ago than there is now, so its either drying up and soaking in.

Any idea what this could be? My first thought was a fungus, but its totally amorphous and has no solid material at all. I have a small child and also want to start planting asap, so I need to know how toxic this stuff is to other life forms (in larger or trace quantities). I also want to know if I can save some of those shrubs, or if they are doomed. They are growing back now, but perhaps there is poison seeping in. The previous owner cannot be contacted.

Thanks for the help. I feel like I am in a Star Trek episode. Ellen

Ellen S. said:
Hols were drilled in some of the stumps and there is a viscous slime of vivid dark yellow to dark orange on the cut surfaces and oozing over the sides. ... I feel like I am in a Star Trek episode. Ellen
Does it look like this (note size before clicking--image resized in TreeCo's post below)? This ooze is just sap, imo; the colors come from inner earth, not outer space :alien: .

I had to appraise trees in a trespass case (Lot line? I didn't see no stinkin lot line! :dizzy: ) and that's how the stumps looked last month. I'd be leery of the drillholes, a common way of injecting herbicide, but also a common way to speed rotting.

Overall, you'll want to :Eye: ID the plants once the leaves come on; many may be useful, or even improved after the "coppicing".

Last edited:
Thanks. Perfect match. It had never once occurred to me that it might be sap -- it was just too wierd looking.

If they weren't filled with herbicide, are the drill holes a problem in themselves? Can I assume the shrubs will be OK if they have new growth? Anything I can do to help them along?

Thanks again. Some people should definitely not have chain saws. The neighbors said the "gardeners" mowed the shrubs down in full bloom!

"It had never once occurred to me that it might be sap -- it was just too wierd looking."
In a way it's good my pic was low-res :eek: ; the foam is far grosser even than the bacterial ooze from white oak

"If they weren't filled with herbicide, are the drill holes a problem in themselves?"
By speeding decay, they cos tthe future plant some stability, but not a big problem in the long run.

" Can I assume the shrubs will be OK if they have new growth?" Yes

"Anything I can do to help them along?"
Get positive ID first, :Eye: the longterm potential of the plants, and kill what you don't want. The rest should be mulched, and the sprouts thinned to make the new plant you want. All shrubs and some trees are good as clump form--many leaders_usually an odd # works best--so only clip off the ones you absolutely don't want.

Don't be in a hurry--those sprawling ones are good to leave short term, as they cool the roots and make food for the whole plant. May be best to wait til labor day or even winter for all the thinning.

"Some people should definitely not have chain saws."
And hand saws, and...many homeowners are in this group too.

"The neighbors said the "gardeners" mowed the shrubs down in full bloom!"
Worst time to prune. Must have improved curb appeal, in some sick realtor's mind? Or making up for lack of proper mtc all along.

"Must have improved curb appeal"
Ironically, they were mostly in the fully-fenced-in backyard. Who knows how these peoples' brains work.

"Worst time to prune"
I guess that's why there was SO much sap. Definitely gross. Also kind of cool.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the reassurance and advice. Now I can stop hating the former owners. (My last two houses have been blank-slates, had to start everything from scratch, so the idea of having established plantings killed off right before I got there was making me nuts!) Here's to coppicing.

Ellen S. said:
Here's to coppicing.
Long may it wave. I often tell clients thta the best thing to do with their overgrown shrubs is to hack em to the ground in feb. Most are shocked and amazed at that concept, sure that would be the death of the plants. Only a few realize that the most important part of the plant is the part they cannot see.

Here's to you, with the wisdom to wait for coppicing to work! Your young one will learn to believe in the powers of creation as s/he watches the shrubs jump back up toward the sky. Take pictures and let us see too!

Back