Yet another question on which chain saw to get but can only spend up to $250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farenheit 454

Reaction score
Yep, another which chain saw question. I have done some searching on the forum already but all of the threads end with everyone suggesting to get a pro saw. Well that’s all fine and dandy if money is no issue. But for me, money is an issue and can only spend up to $250. I would like to get a saw with an 18” blade on it. That is what I feel most comfortable with. I would prefer to buy new and not get a used one form a private sale, don’t want someone elses headache. Not much on fixer uppers. Wouldn’t mind getting a factory refurb. one somewhere but don’t know where to look or who to trust. Will most likely have to get it from one of those dreaded big box stores or on line. I am very comfortable running a saw and falling trees but am no where near a pro. Any suggests one a saw? What I would like to do is buy this saw and use it for my main saw and then in 4 or 5 years try to save up for a pro saw and have this one for a back up or for limbing. Let me know what you all think would work for me. Thanks for your time.

I was just looking on-line at Sears website and they have a Husky with an 18” bar and has a 38.2cc engine for $230. The website doesn’t saw what model it is. Sears item #07135265000, Mfr. model #952802268. I looked quick on Huskys webiste but was unable to find it there. Anyone have any info about this saw or thoughts on this saw. Once again thanks for your time.

Check out the trading post on this site. Do a little research on who you are buying from, but most are good guys.
Don't buy the Crapsman, it's too small to run that size bar (it is called a bar) and you will be sorely dissapointed with how slow it runs and possibly burn it up.
Look for a used Stihl MS290 or a used Husky 350, either will run an 18" fine, and should run for quite some time if cared for properly.

:agree2:

For that price range, I'd say you be best off watching craigslist, the local papers, trading post, etc. and picking up a pair of running $100 saws. That way, you'll have $50 left for some odds and ends and if one's down, you'll have the other. For $250 new, you're going to have a hard time finding something you will be happy with that will run an 18" bar. This way you could get by until you can afford what you want. Either this or just try to save up a bit more and get what you want. I know it's tough now with money being as tight as it is, but I don't think you'd ever regret spending a bit more to get a quality tool that will last you. Think of it as an investment on how much you'll save on heat.

you probably don't want to hear this...your best bet is to buy a used pro saw in almost new condition. from a reputable dealer/seller.

$250 is plenty of funds to find an almost new Stihl MS 260. $250 is a very fair price for a 49cc class pro saw.

Yeah if you're going to call a bar a blade, maybe you should start off with a smaller saw first.:computer:

Yeah if you're going to call a bar a blade, maybe you should start off with a smaller saw first.:computer:

I hear more people calling them blades these days. Seems that the Brits are re-infecting the US language. In Norway they call them swards. Swards and blades sound so much more appealing than bars do, eh? :greenchainsaw:

I hear more people calling them blades these days. Seems that the Brits are re-infecting the US language. In Norway they call them swards. Swards and blades sound so much more appealing than bars do, eh? :greenchainsaw:

Yea, we call em swords! And that is way cooler than the boring "bar". Have you ever heard about anyone chopping down a tree with a candyBAR? But if you have a SWORD.....

Sorry about the off topic, but just couldn't resist replying :cheers:

RIGHT ON! So I can call my small but good 3 man crew the 3 musketeers? :computer:

Latest posts

Back