Yew might be a redneck if...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ya burn the furniture.

Replaced the wife's 3 drawer "antique" chest-o-drawers with a new one. I got the old one out of a tumble down house I tore down on a lot (later sold) I bought back in the 60s. dunno how old it was but from the history on the house early 19xx or even late 18xx. Wife and her sister thought it was the greatest thing ever. "love" is blind. Mirror fogged to useless, top finish gone, gouged, scratched, worn, one leg missing, drawers that took 2 men and a boy to open/close. I finally got fed up and told her it was gone. Busted it up with my BFH and had it on the burn pile when I thought "gott burn it anyhow, why not in the stove" - done deal, cut it into stove lengths this morning and workign on burning it when the stove needs a bit of a boost.

rednect-1.jpg

redneck1.jpg

It was all mortise/tenon, dovetail construction held together with minimal glue. Only 4 screws in the base and no nails except what had been used over the years to "fix it".

Harry K

You burning the stained wood Harry? I didn't think the stove would appreciate that. I've got a ton of cutoffs from the board and batten shed I built, all 1" pine but stained.

I too just got rid of some cabinetry from our house. I broke it down in manageable pieces for my OWB to burt. With all the stain and glue, I decided to just throw it all on the burn pile instead of burning it in my OWB.

I'd rather have used the BTUs to heat my home, but I won't risk damaging my investment over it. :msp_thumbup:

A little stain or paint wont hurt any thing it will help the morning fire get started faster :msp_wink:

A little stain or paint wont hurt any thing it will help the morning fire get started faster :msp_wink:

Yep, I wouldn't burn a bunch of it but this is only a small pile. As for the neighbos, nearest is 1/4 mile away. I'd have second thoughts about burning it if I had a catalytic stove though.

This thread should have been in the Off Topic forum but force of habit put it here.

Harry K

next time yoyu want to burn an old piece let me know, and ill trade you sugar maple.

Agreed bust up and burn all this new age particle board furniture but please leave the old handmade real wood stuff intact. :msp_scared:

We had an old 1900 player piano that w/no player internals that we were given and used through all the kids until the sound board cracked bad and could NOT be tuned. Was going to have to pay pretty good money at the time to have hauled away. Well, I salvaged all of the nice panels, keys and workings (just because it was cool) and also used BFH to burn in outside pit. MAN did it go hard & hot!

I saw a beat up chest-o-drawers just like that one on the Antiques Roadshow, no point telling ya' now what it was worth :laugh:

Agreed bust up and burn all this new age particle board furniture but please leave the old handmade real wood stuff intact. :msp_scared:

This was all machine cut joinery but far better done than the current stuff. I was surprised that it came apart with no damage to the joinery. Few minor taps with a hammer and even the dove-tails drove apart.

I have the matching bed which is in jusst about the same rundown condition. Someone wants to drop by and pick it up you can have it. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back