Yosemite Sequoias

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopher

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just read the Associated Press's article (Saturday April 12th) about the two giant sequoias that toppled in Yosemite National Park.

I would like to know more about the determination of the how's and why's.

If anyone with a closer connection could post on this, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

Gopher

Its an interesting task - saving Redwoods. Even if we preserve them, they can't stay forever.

Its been demonstrated mathematically, that they can't stay in place after reaching about 365 feet. A few may have gone 370 due to density difference in the knots, etc.. But for the more part, 365 feet is it, and they go down.

That doesn't sound like the case here.

I understand their dilemna. Its a pity if the tree care drives people out of the forests, with only Phd people being the privileged nature viewers.

Maybe they can make confined trails in certain areas to keep the soil compaction limited to a smaller area.

That is sad, very sad.

I originally went to university headed for vet school. A veterinarian that I used to work for gave me some good advice on trying to help living things.

Anything that lives and breathes can stop living and breathing at any time.

Redwoods live and they die,...that's what they are here for. Same thing goes for us too.

I think it is suprising to most because they have this BS view in their head of a mythical Climax Community.

That uprooted sequoia left a big hole in the canopy and turned up some bare mineral soil......time for the next generation to have a chance.

Yes, things die.

I remember some mystical moments spent at the Mariposa grove.

There are factors I consider and sometimes I call certain deaths "premature" - meaning wrong place at the wrong time. Cancers for example, or cluster bombs aimed at precise targets within a civilian compound.

Coastal Redwoods, Port Orford Cedars, and both sequoias along with some early logging habits of clear-cutting right up to tall stands are susceptable to new stresses like winds, base erosion and the like so many of the open logged areas show examples of hedgerow losses, domino-like felling long after revegetation has started. These two giants however look like a combo of diversion of natural run-off and like TreeTex said, got to the end of their lives.

I guess the gain here would be to see if they contract-out for bids on lumber recovery or let death do it's thing - rot and feed. I hope they let them die in peace.

At the mimimum, as far as people go, it's another thing to think about when stealing-away and climbing one of those magnificent giants in cognito - there's a chance you too, could find a premature death. What a way to go though, eh? Like getting eaten by an Orca.

sequoias done

Thanks all. I realize that we all come to our end, but wondered if we can learn from this as well. For example, the decking that is around Minnesota's largest white pine in Itasca State Park.

If there are millions of viewers to an area, can we milk some of our natural elements (safely of course) for all they are worth?

I am in agreeance with the option of letting these two beauties rest in peace. They fell on their own, let them lie and decompose on their own as well.

Gopher

Latest posts

Back