You can't make this stuff up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mic687

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was removing a large damaged red oak limb it had a 4' split 1.5" wide all the way thru. As I finish the notch and shut the saw off to reposition I hear a noise that I think it is a bug. I move around the tree and see a bat in the crack. Well I cut the limb off and as it swings away and starts to spin on the rope bats start spilling out like paratroopers from a plane. I look down and like 10 bats are circling this thing as its lowered. Well it's on the ground but still has some bats in it. I wish I had a vid of it cause it was awesome.

Ya know AS rules. Pics or it never happened. Would have been something to see though.

I've had something similar happen a while ago. I was taking a large dead lead out of a live oak, Made much undercut then the topcut. when it hit the ground it broke apart and over a dozen bats were crawling around that busted up limb. It was kinda funny, you could tell how blind they were.

I dropped a large angophora limb once, it was hollow as and when it hit the ground it shattered exposing the poor old goanna inside. He shook it off and strolled away lol

I hope they weren't the endangered Indiana Brown Bat- If so, hurry up and delete this thread.

Speaking of bats---Just did a job in a back yard with tons of limestone features. As I was walking the job, I looked at the side of a limestone block and saw what I thought was a hanging art object. I bent down to touch it but luckily didn't make contact: It was a Mexican free-tailed bat and it was looking sick. I told the owner to get a box and net and he put the bat into the box. The next day it was dead. Hopefully he followed through with animal control since the bat was most likely rabid: Only very sick bats would be attached to surfaces in broad daylight. One of my good friends opened her patio door, last year, and had a bat fall on her. It turned out to be rabid. She got the rabies series injections. They're not as painful as they used to be but they're no fun, either. Austin loves its bat colony and tries to do things to enlarge it. I think it's crazy to do so. Yeah, bats eat tons of insects, and they draw millions of tourists to see them, but they are natural reservoirs for the rabies virus. If a mass infection makes its way through the over-populated colony that is under our Congress Avenue bridge, it could be big trouble for city folks.

Back