Your best natural graft image & what's the right name?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
Reaction score
So ... I saw a nifty natural graft in a corkscrew willow the other day and got a pic.

Attached.

Now, 60% of the reason for this post, is to find out a word.

Once on Wikipedia, in some leaf, stem, plant or related page - not the grafting page - someone wrote a word which is the name for when a plant grafts to itself. And I recall it not sounding at all like a form of "graft".

Does anybody know what the word might be - what the right scientific or technical term would be for what I call natural grafting?

I suppose either way may be fine, but I was still curious.

And ... if you happen to have a natural graft image, let's see what else has transpired.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hmmmm, are you sure that has actually grafted? It looks like that branch has wrapped around the bigger one and would pull away if it was ever cut...

As for the 'word', I can't think of anything specific.
I'll get some pics of Poincianas over here that have some cool natural grafts.
Thanks for the thread, natural oddities are cool!

I've always thought of it as "branch sistering": much the way that a carpenter will "sister" boards/joists for increased strength &/or versatility. I don't see it very often, but will be happy to learn the correct phrase.

Hmmmm, are you sure that has actually grafted? It looks like that branch has wrapped around the bigger one and would pull away if it was ever cut...

As for the 'word', I can't think of anything specific.
I'll get some pics of Poincianas over here that have some cool natural grafts.
Thanks for the thread, natural oddities are cool!

The one on the right is wrapped.

But the one in the middle is grafted on one end or the other.

Almost has a look to it like when a metal round has a welded bead.

The limb wrapped to the right, emerges from another point on the back - close, but not the same limb. This particular tree had a bunch of this tightly wrapped, fused and grafted growth in it.

It took me a moment to get what you were pointing out. Because yes, they are arranged so that it looks like a continual wrap occurs.

These are the trees that I like to make hiking sticks from.

Last edited:
Back