Your thoughts and advice on "Micro" saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterhog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just woke up and had an urge to find an old running or fix-er-upper "micro" saw like an old Poulan Micro, Homelite XL, or McCulloch Mini Mac.

Are those saws about equal in quality or does one stand out? Is one more "repairable" than others?

I'm wanting to run a 10" bar (maybe a 12") on the thing.

Which way do you think I should go?

Please resist advising me to get a small Stihl, Echo, or Husky. Not being a smart-alec, but the budget just ain't there.

Thanks guys!

I got two McCulloch 140's (Mini mac with a chain brake) one needed a tune up the other needed carb and ignition sorting, there not the easiest saws to work on as they require a complete strip down (remove engine ) to do anything
on the plus side, very rewarding when you get them running sweet again and a very usable tool with a powerful motor, both mine are running 14" blades with no problems.

The Super2 was enough fun for me. It's a neat little saw I have not yet found a real use for. LOL!

On small stuff Corona Loppers are faster, on bigger stuff a 346 is faster.
The sound of the little booger is worth getting it out now and again though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not sure about fixing up, never tried on anyone of those saws. My father has a homelite xl that he has had since the mid 80's. Uses it fairly often now, since he has gotten "older", to cut his small firewood and yard debris up. It still runs like a champ.

Sidenote: He always tells me when he gets it out: "See son, why can't we Americans make good quality products like this anymore?" Then, sit down on the nearest stump stool and prepare for the 20 minute lecture of what is wrong with America.

I got two McCulloch 140's (Mini mac with a chain brake) one needed a tune up the other needed carb and ignition sorting, there not the easiest saws to work on as they require a complete strip down (remove engine ) to do anything
on the plus side, very rewarding when you get them running sweet again and a very usable tool with a powerful motor, both mine are running 14" blades with no problems.

And when the "blade" gets dull you can grab a steak knife from the kitchen and replace it :)

I've had a couple of mini macs, a 6 and a 25, both good runners, but they are a pain to disassemble and reassemble. I don't miss either after buying a new jred top handle this past summer.

i would say the poulan micro would be the easiest saw to work on and you wont have to spend as much on small parts to fix it up. a homelite xl can get pricey to fix. the mini macs are just a pain to work on compared to the others in my opinion.

gl kevin

I cut a fair amount of slabs from my woodmizer.
It's nice to be able to push a slab with your left hand and saw with your right.

Dad gave me an old Homelite super 2 years ago. That thing had about nines lives in it but finally spewed oil out the exhaust. It's pieces are in a box in the shed. I always thought parts were easy to find and it wasn't a PITA to work on.

Trying to replace it I bought a Dolmar top handle because of the price. For some reason it just didn't cut as well as that old Homelite.

Currently I'm about 90% done with an 015L. Got $100 in it but leaning toward a 3/8" chain and 14" bar. Then I'd like to start working on a PM6 I picked up cheaply but from what I'm reading here, that may not be as fun as I thought.

Last edited:
poulan micro

i just did 3 of them... they seem very simple and run good when tuned dont know anything about macs... and the super 2s are a pain to work on all the way around i like but man poulan 2000 is easy to work on!!!!

Bought this sweet little poulan pro 225 off ebay for a couple sheckles... all the it needed was a new fuel line and minor cleanup.

2243132540038709423S500x500Q85.jpg

I have owned all three and would choose the Poulans (but I am biased). I gave away all the small Macs that I had because they were such a PITA to work on. I have a couple of XL/Super 2's which are good saws, especially the dual trigger one. I gave a number of the Micro/2000/S25 saws, some of which I bought new over 25 years ago. If you want a Poulan (or Homie parts), let me know.

Funny thing is a Poulan(craftsman)micro25 got this CAD thing started for me. Now I have a saw for every day of the month. My vote or a S25DA(cant kill one)

Back