What am I doing wrong? Compression testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing you need is a Schraeder valve in the very end of the hose. If you look at the tip a Schraeder valve is the same valve they use in a valve stem to inflate your vehicle tires. The hose can be any length as long as you have that but will take more pulls to top the gauge out the longer it is.

It is not the same valve that you use in your car tire. If you compare them they look the same, be it 1 is red the other white but when you press the valve you will find the white 1 has very little resistance.. swap them out and have a look to see how the reading changes. In my Mac unit it was about 30 PSI difference.

It is not the same valve that you use in your car tire. If you compare them they look the same, be it 1 is red the other white but when you press the valve you will find the white 1 has very little resistance.. swap them out and have a look to see how the reading changes. In my Mac unit it was about 30 PSI difference.

so what your saying it is the same valve LOL just a different spring within the valve.

I've usually only pulled 4-5 times to get a reading, makes me wonder if I'm not pulling enough to get accurate readings...

Here's the NAPA version of the compression gauge valve cores.
this pack held 5 of them 700-9556
sorry bout the crappy pic but at least You can read the number.

Attachments

• Compression Gauge Core.JPG
    Compression Gauge Core.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the pic. Just to confirm, this is the style core that you should be using to test compression in a chainsaw (or other small CC engine)?

Those cores will be fine for nearly any testing.
Just take note of the remarks about having the stem at the end of your gauge
so as to not add extra volume that will give a lowered reading.

This is what I have.

This is interesting. So, if you have a saw that has 150psi compression at sea level it will only have 77% of that compression (115 psi) if you are above 8500 ft altitude ? Am I getting this right ? If so, this altitude adjustment is a major deal for you high country dwellers.

May have been but it was brand new. I chose just to not try the adapter unless really necessary. Most chainsaws that I've seen don't need the adapter anyway to check compression.

If you don't use the adaptor to match the spark plug threads.....how do you screw the gauge into the plug hole ?

If you don't use the adaptor to match the spark plug threads.....how do you screw the gauge into the plug hole ?
The threads on mine are both the same. The "adapter" on mine is merely an extension to get at hard to reach places. I guess I misused the term "adapter". Actually, all the chainsaw plugs anymore, as far as I know, use the same size threads.

CS I am not sure what brand of tester Jr has but all of mine 1 MAC and 2 cheapies can be used without the adaptor on the chainsaws I have worked on.

My compression tester works just fine although it's not an expensive one. I bought it new and it may not be the most accurate but it lets me know if my saws need rings. I have a saw right now that has a piston that looks nearly perfect through the exhaust port but only has 90 psi. compression and won't start. I have rings ordered for it but it may require more than that.

Back