Reconditioned Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnOG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in the market for a chainsaw needed to cut down logs to length for a fire pit I recently built in my backyard. I don't want a Home Depot special because it will probably also get used at some point for storm damaged trees considering the crazy weather in the Northeast over the last couple of years. I have my eye on a Husqvarna 450 and have noticed many "factory reconditioned" saws on the web, primarily on ebay. They claim to be in as good if not better than new. Why would a saw have to be reconditioned in the first place? How are they winding up back at the factory? They tend to be anywhere from fifty to a hundred bucks cheaper. Again, the saw would mainly be used a couple of times a year in my backyard. Just buy new??? Thanks!

I would be leary of an unknown source. Find a local dealer- then you have support if something goes south. Ask at the dealer if they re-tune the saws from the factory( they are coming through way to lean to meet EPA specs - good way to burn a piston in the first couple hours of use) if they say no find a different dealer that knows. Only exception would be the new auto tune saws, but ya have to be meticulous about the instructions to get it right. HD can be some great deals on the 64cc Makitas/ Dolmar when they cycle there rentals out, but you have to know what to look for flaw wise. They really do not do repairs on these - and Makita /Dolmar dealships are a bit on the thin side stateside.

Stihl Ms250 Around 300. Great all around homeowner saw and good homeowner warranty that they will double if you buy a 6 pack of ultra oil with the saw.

I would probably just buy new. Not saying they don't exist but I've never heard of factory reconditioned saws. The only way I could see that happening is if the manufacturer had some program where rental stores returned saws after a certain number of hours of use. Otherwise, I don't see how they could get saws back on any sort of scale that would support a re-manufacturing operation.

I'm not sure which strap you have, but you would either need to girth hitch the loop to your pants belt, or hook it to your belt with a carabiner.
70-461 pdf
Chainsaw straps are designed to be used with your saddle in the tree, they are a pain to have flopping around when on the ground. Why you would want to walk around the ground with the saw hooked to your belt slapping your leg is beyond me, but what do I know. It's not really designed for this, so you will have to get creative.

Back