Stihl ms 170 vs ms 250

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had three saws Thursday that the owner said would not start. I dumped the fuel, put fresh in, choked, pulled maybe 8 or 10 times and they started right up and ran normally.

Our question is, what are you supposed to charge for that ? Nothing? $10 $15
If this was customer error (i.e old, or water logged fuel) I would educate them and charge them a minimum diagnostic fee. In shops around here that is about a 1/2 hour labor at whatever your rate is. You could also sell them a better fuel storage container but a new plastic jug might not save them if it is just old fuel.

How do you balance that with a MS201TC dropped out of a tree that you screw with for two hours, but you can't really charge that.
Customer definitely caused this damage by dropping the saw and he knows it and has no one to blame but himself (or his crew). I would charge him the Stihl standard labor rate to fix whatever damage that he caused. What is the labor to replace a torn boot and replace the wiring harness?

When I was in school 4-5 decades ago I repaired TVs and other consumer electronics for tuition and pizza money.. Occasionally you would just get a "dog" that sucked time that you couldn't charge for. You would make it up on other "easier" candidates. Sort of like your auto mechanic that can get paid for doing two jobs at once.

As one of those old farts I struggle to pull my MS250. I see all the folks having no problem and wonder if there's an actual issue with mine or if it's just me. No problem with my other saws, trimmers or blowers.
The MS250 is about the worst. Larger saws have larger pulleys plus decompression valves usually.

It does take a strong fast pull on the recoil to start them, I have witnessed several hard start 250`s that came down to the operator not pulling them over fast enough. after 3-4 slow pulls the engines were flooded. I drop start them with no problem getting them running but so many others are too afraid of drop starting method and they try kneeling on the engine cover with the right hand knee and pulling upward much too slow to get a spark generated. When I encounter a hard start no start 250 I have them demonstrate their starting procedure and most every time it is the slow pull over problem, I can take the saw from them and drop start it with just a few pulls. Lack of rotational speed is the biggest culprit, all the electronic saws need fast rotational speed to generate spark, the 250 is just a bit more difficult to reach that speed.

Go to the dealer and try one on the shelf with the ignition switch off. The design issue is that the same recoil was used for the 210, 230, and 250... 35, 40, and 45cc respectively so it gets a little hard pulling on the 250. I am now 67 and don't have a problem starting one.
I was thinking the same thing. Go to your dealer. Present your concerns. Ask to pull them. You are making an investment.

Where I live, CL and FB generally shows several good-running 026 and, less frequently, MS260s for $150 to 300 USD.

My vote is to learn how to maintain saws and buy used pro saws.

If I really had to buy a new homeowner saw, it would probably be one of the mag-case Echos.

Roy

I had three saws Thursday that the owner said would not start. I dumped the fuel, put fresh in, choked, pulled maybe 8 or 10 times and they started right up and ran normally.

Our question is, what are you supposed to charge for that ? Nothing? $10 $15 ?

How do you balance that with a MS201TC dropped out of a tree that you screw with for two hours, but you can't really charge that.
I say nothing as if they have three saws they will need service in the future.

Latest posts

Back