My first crane job... Tips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevybob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've got my first crane job coming up in the next month or so. Just wanted to hear from some you guys who are experienced in this. Im confident in my skills as a climber and have watched enough crane jobs to know what I need to do up there.

No videos but I've worked on several crane jobs and observed other climbers. Never got the chance to do one myself though.

Come on Bob, make with some info!

Species of tree, crane size, CO's experience workin trees, DBH of the tree, targets below it, pics, etc?

jomoco

I don't any info right now haha. All I was told is its a big Oak over just about everything you could imagine. When it gets closer to the job im going to go out and take a look at the tree. I'm just looking for some general words of wisdom from guys who have done it before.

Beware of CO's with little or no experience working tree removals.

Never make a pick anywhere close to the crane's capacity at any given distance or angle, be extremely conservative in the size n weight of your picks until you've got a lot more crane jobs under your belt.

Learn your crane hand signals.

Get an integrated hardhat with two way radio communications, like the Peltor Pro Comm.

Get a green log weight chart calculator that'll give you an accurate estimate of how much a twenty foot long 30 inch Diameter red oak green log weighs. Answer? 6180 lbs.

The best advice I can give you's to make sure the CO's got lots of experience doing tree removals.

jomoco

Its all in the balance. Having pieces flip on you is not a fun experience for you or the crane operator. Start with small picks until you get comfortable. Don't feel the pressure of trying to hurry because the crane is "costing" you money. Cranes are wonderful on removals but they also add another layer of potential problems to be aware of. Go over your crane signals with the operator. If the operator has experience with removals, listen to him. A good operator should be able to tell you where to make each cut. Be safe.

Don't under estamate the weight of a green canopy. All that green adds up. Finding the balance point of of a long heavy branch so it smoothly lifts off is a art form of sorts. Hooking your cable or sling so pressure is being released as you cut though is important. You most the time want to make one continuous smooth cut streight throw with the piece living off smoothly as you finish your cut. Lots of exceptions to what I said too.
Always make sure the piece your cutting isn't going to get hung up, I love crane jobs. It can make quick work of a tree that may of took all day.
Good crane operator can make it a piece of cake. Just have to get use to stuff going up no down

Also remember just because you can take a huge ass piece out of the tree the crane still has to get it on the ground and the ground crew still has to process it sometimes it's more productive to take 2 or 3 pieces vs one monster that's hard to handle.
Keep your face out of the way of the butt end if it wants to flip on you or swings off its much easier to dodge if ur not to up close and personal. Pay attention to limbs that will throw off the balance and cause the piece to rotate on u and if that piece is going to turn on u make sure u pull ur saw out! Nothing more embarrassing then the ground crew watching u struggle to get ur saw out...if the piece swings around or shifts or what have u give the crane op time to chase the load

There are so many concerns, be cautious of the dynamic load stress or shock load you can put on a crane. Familiarize yourself with signals, safe working load charts, block capacity, etc. Don't over do it. A good crane operator that is familiar with tree work usually knows, so keep in good communication with them (Let them know where you plan to make the cut). Make sure everything is ready and safe. Make sure your are cutting the right limb that is rigged. One thing that is very helpful is to let someone else rig or strap the trees, don't use a strap or cable that is under-rated for a pick (consider the shock load or the pulling power of the crane). Let the person rigging, strap the limbs high (use multiple straps, to keep the load from rolling or making shocking movements. Preferably, directly under a crotch or something that can keep the strap from sliding. Let the rigging person come down from the headache ball, and move to a safe location. Letting someone else rig will save time, and most likely position the straps in the most suitable place. If you are the person cutting the limb make sure your life line is attache in a safe place that will not get tangled or snagged by the load. Cut above your face, to avoid being struck by the load. Any questions, please ask. Don't forget head protection for you and your crew, objects will fall. Be safe, not sorry.

I don't any info right now haha. All I was told is its a big Oak over just about everything you could imagine. When it gets closer to the job im going to go out and take a look at the tree. I'm just looking for some general words of wisdom from guys who have done it before.
Be safe, not sorry.

Time is money. We move fast and efficiently, plus we cut down big trees in our area. I haven't seen anyone who could keep up and not get wore out by the end of the week. It takes us about five minutes per cut. Where use a 250hp Vermeer BC2000xl with a grapple to keep up with how much we bring down at a time. It is faster in most circumstances if everyone is doing their job.

Time is money. We move fast and efficiently, plus we cut down big trees in our area. I haven't seen anyone who could keep up and not get wore out by the end of the week. It takes us about five minutes per cut. Where use a 250hp Vermeer BC2000xl with a grapple to keep up with how much we bring down at a time. It is faster in most circumstances if everyone is doing their job.
a good climber and crane op can generally keep way ahead of the ground crew with little effort. seldom is there enough money in a job to warrant two climbers in tree unless there are special circumstances.

That's weird the three climbers we have that climb every day, climb every day all week all month and never slow down maybe ya'll just need to work out or something?? Dunno

a good climber and crane op can generally keep way ahead of the ground crew with little effort. seldom is there enough money in a job to warrant two climbers in tree unless there are special circumstances.
We like to work smarter, not harder. Watch some Climb-Ax Tree on youtube, you'll see.

That system only works if your climber is allowed to ride the hook. Our safety regs don't allow it.

BTW, nice PPE your groundies are wearing. I always think that if you're going to put company videos on the web, you crew should look professional, ie not in shorts and wearing their ppe when the chipper is going, not ear muffs up and visor up.

It must take a lot of salesman effort to keep that dragon fed.

Latest posts

Back