Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the 60 runs well but I'm fighting a reed block leak on that saw so its not perfect. But it'll run well and doesn't have the idle issues or lean at the end of a cut. Yes on the metering diaphragm. I've done that one before! I now know to double check it now.

I've got a couple other SDC's that I got in a box of parts I bought. Don't know if they're good or not but I guess I could clean them up and try just in case.

I'm off to check some of these ideas and see what I can figure out. Thank you all for the input.
Paul, I'm by no means the best mechanic here but if memory serves the way to discover where a head gasket leaks is with an oil can. You squirt a little oil around the head slowly and when you hit the leak the engine smooths out and runs properly for a bit. You might try that with your 60. It could even be done with the bar removed around the crank.
Please keep us abreast of how your struggle goes.
Lou

Paul, I'm by no means the best mechanic here but if memory serves the way to discover where a head gasket leaks is with an oil can. You squirt a little oil around the head slowly and when you hit the leak the engine smooths out and runs properly for a bit. You might try that with your 60. It could even be done with the bar removed around the crank.
Please keep us abreast of how your struggle goes.
Lou

Thank you for the idea Lou. I will let you guys know what I do to get it fixed. I'm waiting for some parts right now (crank seals, carb, reed block). Hopefully they'll be here soon and I can get back to work
on those saws and get them running right again.

I think the carb was the cause of my problems on the P51. I got a new SDC 80 and installed it. No more idle issues or running lean at the end of a long cut.

I've only run about a half tank of fuel through it but it seems to be fixed. I'll run it some more just to be sure but so far so good and its running strong.

Thank you all for all the ideas and help.

Got 'er done! I'd bet your P51 troubles are over for a good while. And, if that oak wasn't so dang hard, I don't think she'd seem like an old dog!

Got 'er done! I'd bet your P51 troubles are over for a good while. And, if that oak wasn't so dang hard, I don't think she'd seem like an old dog!

I sure hope the troubles are over.

You did a first class job on that cylinder, it really has some balls!

Hopefully I can put it in some big soft wood at the end of the month and I'll run it against the 60 with the same bar and chain. I think the 51 will be faster.

Can anybody figure out the date of an ra by serial number?

Well since they were only made for two years and the first models had the separate chrome Pioneer logo on the top cover, the later ones had the cast Pioneer logo on the top cover there is not a long production period to decipher.

Back