Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
image.jpg Curious as to what this tree is. My buddy who works in the biz is calling it and American beach.

For what it's worth? I live in the south eastern part of PA, 45 minutes north and west of philly.

image.jpg

Yeah that's what we all figured. I have beaches in the woods near me but I'm pretty sure the leaves are never purple like that...

The bark definitely looks like beech, but like you say, the color of the leaves is off. Something local to that tree? Something in the soil or the water? It appears to be beside a road, maybe it was a non-native species planted as a specimen? It sure has character.

There's a bunch of them around our immediate area that I've noticed. It's in the suburbs so very possible people planted them a long time ago.

The reason I asked is cause there is a dead one right near that one and we have no where to put all the wood.

It's completely dead and was curious if it was worth milling at all.

I just did a search on Google for "ornamental beech tree" and first thing to come up was http://www.itrees.com/categories/ornamental-trees/tricolor-beech.html . Tricolor beech: "Tricolor Beech is unique because of its purple-bronze leaves with irregularly colored edges of rose, pink, and cream. " This might be what you have there. Beech wood should have some uses. (Isn't it Budweiser that's 'beechwood aged'?) Good wood, good firewood. That tree looks like it would have lots of character. And reading a little more from Wikipedia, it appears that the tricolor is Fagus sylvatica'roseamrginata'

Yeah I found that as well but that trees branches and stuff are too tight. This tree has less branches all along the trunk that are more spaced out.

They seem to have very similar sized branches too. The one I'm taking down is actually completely dead.

If I get the job I'll take better pics.

Back