Tree service chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve acquired a new buddy who’s got a tree service and he’s got several dogs in the pound in need of some love (or euthanasia) but he hasn’t really got the skills to do either. He’s more focused on putting wood on the trailer. How long do chainsaws normally last tree services, and what kinds of lookouts should you be after if you get ahold of a saw that’s broke down and has served in this capacity? I’m thinking about dealing him out of a 562xp. I’ve already sold him a good 55 i rehabbed and he seemed glad to have it.

Gotta tell you - I am not a big fan of buying something that's been used commercially, and I've been burned before. My experience is that they generally only sell stuff that's flat worn out, so inspect carefully, and make sure the case isn't damaged, piston smoked, stripped bolt holes, etc.

I’ve acquired a new buddy who’s got a tree service and he’s got several dogs in the pound in need of some love (or euthanasia) but he hasn’t really got the skills to do either. He’s more focused on putting wood on the trailer. How long do chainsaws normally last tree services, and what kinds of lookouts should you be after if you get ahold of a saw that’s broke down and has served in this capacity? I’m thinking about dealing him out of a 562xp. I’ve already sold him a good 55 i rehabbed and he seemed glad to have it.
I would never want a tree service saw unless I knew the owner was very religious about equipment care and he was the only one using it (and I knew these things for certain). Those things lead a hard life. Tree service saws get started up cold, run full throttle, put away wet, dropped out of trees, used aggressively, poorly maintained, etc etc.

I would never want a tree service saw unless I knew the owner was very religious about equipment care and he was the only one using it (and I knew these things for certain). Those things lead a hard life. Tree service saws get started up cold, run full throttle, put away wet, dropped out of trees, used aggressively, poorly maintained, etc etc.
He’s real religious…he’s a preacher also…lol. When it comes to equipment though maybe not so much. He doesn’t have anything over 4-5 years old that I can tell, including the stuff in the shed that’s not running.

If he is trying to get some money to pay for his sick dogs, Id offer him a fair amount that way his animals can be taken care of. As a dog lover I hate to see animals get neglected. Sorry to hear about some of them needing put down but often times thats the most logical solution and easiest on both the dog and the owner.

I’m kinda wondering if a relatively clean 562xp auto tune is worth the trouble if it’s just fuel system issues. I know zero about this system and personally wouldn’t own one or an m tronic if I had to buy either new but, maybe I’m just biased because I’ve never worked on them.

For whatever it's worth, I do maintenance and repairs for a tree trimming service (Chainsaws, String trimmers, Blowers, etc.), and the issue that makes me crazy is their employees are constantly removing the air filters on everything. The owner is a great guy but he is pulling his hair out over the situation!

For whatever it's worth, I do maintenance and repairs for a tree trimming service (Chainsaws, String trimmers, Blowers, etc.), and the issue that makes me crazy is their employees are constantly removing the air filters on everything. The owner is a great guy but he is pulling his hair out over the situation!
Sell him extra fuel and air filters to keep on the truck so employees change them as needed. Fire the ones who leave them off or make them buy their own equipment to use instead of firing them...that part is the owners fault and until it starts costing him piston replacements and down time he likely won't care. I'd start suggesting full teardowns and rebuilds on every one that has compression under 135psi, scratched pistons on the intake or exhaust side. I would also tell him to start holding his incompetent employees accountable for their negligence financially as well as spend time before or after work every day cleaning, inspecting and servicing filters on all equipment. If needed charge him to show up and show everyone what to remove to clean/inspect and prep a saw for daily work and how to do a 200 hour service plug/air filter/fuel filter/, chain bar inspection. Everyone spending 30 minutes before or after work caring for equipment saves the employer money on equipment repairs and makes employees more money completing jobs faster with less effort.

Sell him extra fuel and air filters to keep on the truck so employees change them as needed. Fire the ones who leave them off or make them buy their own equipment to use instead of firing them...that part is the owners fault and until it starts costing him piston replacements and down time he likely won't care. I'd start suggesting full teardowns and rebuilds on every one that has compression under 135psi, scratched pistons on the intake or exhaust side. I would also tell him to start holding his incompetent employees accountable for their negligence financially as well as spend time before or after work every day cleaning, inspecting and servicing filters on all equipment. If needed charge him to show up and show everyone what to remove to clean/inspect and prep a saw for daily work and how to do a 200 hour service plug/air filter/fuel filter/, chain bar inspection. Everyone spending 30 minutes before or after work caring for equipment saves the employer money on equipment repairs and makes employees more money completing jobs faster with less effort.
All great bits of advice, and thanks for commenting cookies. You've given me something to think about when it comes to compression testing their equipment. The owner is a good guy and only invests in quality equipment.

I can't wrap my head around that...If you own a business you pay people to do things the way you want. If they don't- you fire them. I wouldn't be pulling my hair out at all, but I might be pulling them to the door by their hair.

Also, the idea that someone doesn't have strict rules around their equipment and care seems nutty to me. Teach people how to clean off a clogged filter if necessary and treat the equipment gently. The farm I grew up beside had lots of migrant labor and everyone was expected to do maintenance on the equipment they used. Whether that was topping off oil and hydraulic fluid on tractors or cleaning air filters and carbs on small engines- you took care of things.

If someone pulls the air filter off my $1400 saw or $700 blower they're buying me a new top end and then I'm showing them the door afterwards.

I'm having trouble understanding it. In business, you pay employees to complete tasks according to your specifications. You terminate them if they don't. I might yank them to the door by their hair, but I wouldn't be yanking out my own.

Furthermore, I find it absurd that there aren't stringent guidelines for someone's equipment and maintenance. If a blocked filter has to be cleaned, show individuals how to do so and handle the equipment with care. There were many migrant workers on the farm where I grew up, and everyone was obliged to maintain the machinery they utilized. Whether it was refueling tractors' oil and hydraulic fluid or cleaning tiny engines' air filters and carbs,

Latest posts

Back