SRT question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boone0

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am putting together a rope climbing setup to climb trees for deer hunting. I've done a ton of research, both here and elsewhere, and settled on a RADS approach.

My question is, what is the downside of using the GriGri2 rather than a petzl rig or I'D? I know the safety features that the ID has, but its out of my price range.

As a new climber, I would spring for the ID for the anti panic feature if I were doing long descents, but I will never be going higher than 30 feet. So, what's the benefit of the rig over the GriGri 2?

Thanks for the advice, I've learned a lot here.

By work position you mean that it can lock off, right?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, I am putting together a rope climbing setup to climb trees for deer hunting. I've done a ton of research, both here and elsewhere, and settled on a RADS approach.

My question is, what is the downside of using the GriGri2 rather than a petzl rig or I'D? I know the safety features that the ID has, but its out of my price range.

As a new climber, I would spring for the ID for the anti panic feature if I were doing long descents, but I will never be going higher than 30 feet. So, what's the benefit of the rig over the GriGri 2?

Thanks for the advice, I've learned a lot here.
Having tried the climbing approach I came to the conclusion rapid rails are best for my deer stand. Picture pre dawn getting the gear rigged up calm mourning. Climbing gear is noisy and I'm generally in the core area of a mature buck so sounds are out. my rails are noisy but after in place they are fairly quiet and very fast access. I actually used a rope only with a bowline on the bight for one stand it was quiet but our bow season body thrusting to 20 feet generated more sweat than I wanted in the air!

Yeah, the amount of work for body thrusting pushed me towards SRT.

Climbing gear is noisy but so are ladders... I have sent and have never been able to get up on the tree without lots of noise.

Yeah, the amount of work for body thrusting pushed me towards SRT.

Climbing gear is noisy but so are ladders... I have sent and have never been able to get up on the tree without lots of noise.

I hunt brusers on public lands if your fidgeting with gear at 4 am he will pick u off with my rails pree set and padlocked i'm hunting as soon as I arrive no sweat.

If I was going to climb for a hunt I'd tie in with a split tail tied directly to my harness and a Blake's, then use a foot loop tied into a microscender. I would advance slowly to avoid sweating, and be careful to not break any twigs on the way up, but first I'd practice before daylight in a similar tree until I had it perfected, then I'd hunt. Probably sit there all day and not a see the first deer because of some clubfooted joker walking around.

I grabbed a GriGri. Once I get some rope I am going to give it a shot with a prusik (in place of an ascender, need to wait until my next check for that) and a foot loop. The season doesn't start until October, rut in November, and I scoped out trees last year so I have some time.

I need a mobile setup so bolting rails to a tree isn't an option.

Thanks for the advice...I'll let you know how it works out.

I use RADS more than any other SRT ascension technique. I use the LARGE Petzl ID (there are two sizes) because it accepts 1/2" (13mm) rope. The cam-locking of the ID provides a remarkable amount of security while climbing.

Latest posts

Back